Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #196
Arctic Ice

Volunteer Moderator
Try exiting Steam, delete all of the files except for: Steam.exe and the \SteamApps\ folder.

Restart Steam.
Arctic Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #197
Danzown671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Ice View Post
Try exiting Steam, delete all of the files except for: Steam.exe and the \SteamApps\ folder.

Restart Steam.
Tried that and was unable to restart steam.

Even tried purchasing online and got the same message.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #198
Petrol777

Same problem right now.
Gotta buy l4d2!!!
Petrol777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:51 AM   #199
Dark Aura

Im haveing the same issue with my paypal. I really want to get lfd2 before the sale ends.
Dark Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:19 AM   #200
Speck

Same here. Arctic Ice's recommendation didn't change anything. I tried on various computers, same thing. A friend of mine has been shopping like crazy with no problems. Is it an account connected problem possibly?

I, too, would really like to gift L4D2. I already missed the Machinarium sale because of this...
Old 11-28-2010, 04:36 AM   #201
mindcrash

Looks like the server(s)/services processing the transactions crashed due to the amount of traffic caused by the current sale. None of the payment options seem to work anymore.

(I wanted to get the Indie Pulse Pack, but my transaction didn't want to pass through and now either of the other options don't work aswell. Oh well...)

Last edited by mindcrash: 11-28-2010 at 04:39 AM.
mindcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #202
xaero212

I have the problem again... I gotta buy L4D2 for 2 more friends and GTA EfLC hope i will make it...
xaero212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #203
Danzown671

I hope Steam extends the sale another day. If I miss out on SC2 and L4D2...
Old 11-28-2010, 05:27 AM   #204
mindcrash

Think you'll see some of the same offers come back starting December 1 unless Valve doesn't have the traditional December / Christmas sale this year.

BTW: It looks like the problem has something to do with a previous transaction not being completed succesfully ("pending" transactions on your account).

I just ordered something with my old Steam account, gifted it to my (new) primary account and that transaction completed succesfully.

Last edited by mindcrash: 11-28-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #205
Mikhai_l

Banned
There has been an internal error initializing your transaction. Please contact support for assistance.

I have this error for 2 hours now. Only 3,5 hours left until the sales are over. Guess Valve doesn't want my money

edit: I'm trying to gift a game to someone else funding my steamwallet with IDeal. Already have the game.

Last edited by Mikhai_l: 11-28-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Mikhai_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #206
mindcrash

I just found a way to make this error go away. Only just before publishing the workaround/fix here my computer crashed. Anyway here goes attempt #2:

Some explanation first

This error occurs when your previous transaction went fubar because of an error while processing your payment (the money probably even didn't get deducted from your bank account or credit card). Anyway, to buy stuff from the Steam store again without waiting for Steam support to process your ticket you could try the following walkthrough.

How to fix the "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction." error without waiting for Steam Support

1. Make sure that the status of your latest transaction is "Pending" (Check Store transactions @ https://store.steampowered.com/account for this) due to a failed payment. Also make sure no money was deducted yet. If money was deducted from your account stop here and contact Steam Support. Due to the fact that we will "unblock" the pending transaction ourselves and make it complete succesfully within Steam's transaction system you will probably not get the money back from your first attempt!

1. Create another Steam account if you already don't have one. Login with your secondary Steam account and befriend your primary Steam account (required to send a gift to it which we will be doing later on). Switch to your primary Steam account, accept the friendship and switch back to your secondary account.

2. Buy the item you wanted to have with your secondary Steam account. Use another payment method than the one which made the payment fail initially to pay this item else you'll have to create yet another account and start all over again!. Gift the item to your primary account.

3. Switch to your primary account and accept the gift from your secondary account.

4. Check out https://store.steampowered.com/account for your primary account and note that the transaction status of the item has changed from "Pending" to "Gift/Guest pass" (because you just gifted the item to your primary account).

5. Due to the fact this transaction has now completed succesfully you will now be able to buy stuff from the Steam store again with your primary account.

6. Unbefriend your secondary account if you want to do so. But you might want to keep him in your friends list for the next transaction which went fubar because of a failed payment.

Alternative way if things really get screwed up (e.g. the games are already registered to your account)

1. Make sure the transaction is "pending" and no money has been deducted yet.

2. Get on your alternative account, buy the games you want and gift them to your primary account.

3. Wait until the transaction status switches from "pending" to "failed" (this will happen eventually because... well... you didn't pay for the games on your primary account). The games will now be de-registered from your primary account. Now get to your guest passes, open them and voila.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by mindcrash: 11-28-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #207
xaero212

I am not making any other accounts and I only can pay by PayPal so won't do the trick for me... Shame Steam hasn't anything to say about this issue.
xaero212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #208
Mikhai_l

Banned
Problem solved itself in 2 hours without contacting support.
Mikhai_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #209
MrXVI

1:30 hours left and bye bye l4d2 for 5 USD and the problem still hasn't resolved

already contacted steam support!!
MrXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #210
The_Thing

It's happening to me as well.
The_Thing is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips