Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
daicon

Guild Wars 2 is not coming to Steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddit
Will Guild Wars 2 be on Steam? That's literally the only thing keeping me from buying it right now. Don't leave me hanging bros, I hate missing these weekends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O’Brien, President and Founder of ArenaNet
No, it almost certainly won't be on Steam. Valve has some new business terms will keep almost all new MMOs off Steam.

Keep in mind the GW2 client is free to download from our web site and has no copy protection. (And if it's really important, you can add non-Steam games to your Steam library.)
What are your thoughts on this?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
crunchyfrog555

Banned
I can only comment on my own situation, and that is that it won't make a bit of difference to me.

I shall be getting it at some point, and wherever it is sold or hosted makes no odds to me. I'm comfortable with having many platforms (even though I really only use use Steam and Battle.net) because it's no different to the accounts I already have on the internet, and it's merely a case of writing down passwords, etc.

I understand people's wishes to want to keep to one platform out of preference, but I don't understand why some say "I don't want to have to use a load of different services" particularly when many of them will ALREADY use many different services on the internet already. But that's another story.

So, in short, fine by me.

Last edited by crunchyfrog555: 06-11-2012 at 03:23 PM.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
FelixZay

Sounds about par for course for a game like GW2. I imagine it would be a huge pain in the for ANet to make and keep up with two micro stores.
FelixZay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Caliente

I can fully understand that it wont be on Steam.
But i dont find myself playing games that is not on Steam after a short time. BF3 i played for some weeks, and Diablo 3 the same.

So i tend to stear away from games that aint on Steam.
Caliente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
rmartinezdl

since its free to play, who gives a darn , I want most paid games on steam because of the sales
rmartinezdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Caliente

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartinezdl View Post
since its free to play, who gives a darn , I want most paid games on steam because of the sales
Guild Wars 2 is not free to play my friend.
Edit: No monthly fee is correct, but the game is not free.
Caliente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartinezdl View Post
Of what relevance to Steam is whether a game is free-to-play? It can't be a question of quality, otherwise that'd be a foolish comment.
If it did turn up, I'd still welcome it whatever, even if I were not interested in it.

It's silly arbitrary barriers like these that some people put up that really blows my mind.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Sir Kiko

Couldn't care less. I wsan't going to play anyway.
Sir Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
AsheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixZay View Post
Sounds about par for course for a game like GW2. I imagine it would be a huge pain in the for ANet to make and keep up with two micro stores.
They wouldn't need 2 micro-stores. All they would have to do is enable the Steam Wallet to act as a purchase source. That's how many of the free-to-play games end up on here. They allow Steam to sell the expansions and enable Steam Wallet for in-game purchases. (I think this is the case)
AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Dreadjaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
Of what relevance to Steam is whether a game is free-to-play? It can't be a question of quality, otherwise that'd be a foolish comment.
If it did turn up, I'd still welcome it whatever, even if I were not interested in it.

It's silly arbitrary barriers like these that some people put up that really blows my mind.
I think you misunderstood that guy's comment. He said he didn't care if the game was on Steam or not because it was free to play. Now, I'm sure that means he thinks it's a cost-free game (which, of course, it's not true) and that's why he doesn't care. He also clearly said the reason he prefers paid games on Steam it's because of the sales.

It's not an arbitrary barrier at all. If he has to pay for it, he prefers Steam due to sales. If he doesn't have to pay, he doesn't care wheter is on Steam or not.

Now, someone should inform the guy that while the game doesn't have a monthly fee, it's not actually free, so his rule doesn't apply here.
Dreadjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
Labs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheMan View Post
They wouldn't need 2 micro-stores. All they would have to do is enable the Steam Wallet to act as a purchase source. That's how many of the free-to-play games end up on here. They allow Steam to sell the expansions and enable Steam Wallet for in-game purchases. (I think this is the case)
If they put it on Steam for every item purchase Valve takes a cut. And since this is a very popular game, it will have no trouble selling over million copies without Steam and continue generating revenue with in-game purchases

Granted they need to refine the item/DLC policy because this is way, way different than EA trying to rip-off Valve by cutting them out of mappack sales.
Cutting into F2P item sales makes sense, cutting into paid games in-game store purchases (like boosts and hats, not mappacks and new levels)- it gets a bit weird

Last edited by Labs: 06-11-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadjaws View Post
I think you misunderstood that guy's comment. He said he didn't care if the game was on Steam or not because it was free to play. Now, I'm sure that means he thinks it's a cost-free game (which, of course, it's not true) and that's why he doesn't care. He also clearly said the reason he prefers paid games on Steam it's because of the sales.

It's not an arbitrary barrier at all. If he has to pay for it, he prefers Steam due to sales. If he doesn't have to pay, he doesn't care wheter is on Steam or not.

Now, someone should inform the guy that while the game doesn't have a monthly fee, it's not actually free, so his rule doesn't apply here.
Admittedly, I should have made it clearer I was speaking more generally rather than directly at him or his comment.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
slatez

I myself wouldn't prefer to have to open steam to play GW2, but steam overlay works so thats all I care about.
slatez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
graspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kiko View Post
Couldn't care less. I wsan't going to play anyway.
Do you go round all threads for games you aren't interested in and make a post telling everyone how you're not going to play them?

How tedious.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Pheace

for a high profile game based around the item shop for income this isn't exactly surprising. The other F2P games can use the advertising/easy stepin. GW doesn't need that.
Pheace is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion