Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series

Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #16
B33 ENN

FEAR series is one of my favourite 1st person tactical combat games. Just finished playing the first game for a second time years after release as I bought a Steam copy. Although I personally didn't find the atmosphere as scary or convincing as the second, I came away stunned how great the graphics (maxed out) are after all these years; amazed how ahead of its time the game was in mechanics compared to games that are even made today.

Looking at the particular functions later removed, the lean function augments the experience hugely to make you feel you are "there", and the quick saving allows for a lot of experimentation and replay. This part is important for me especially with corridor shooters where I find things get repetitive much more quickly than in more open world settings.

It's been a couple of years since I finished FEAR 2, so had forgotten about the checkpoint saves. Currently working on finishing Crysis 2 (another of my favourite series), and the same poor decision has been made there. A PC developer, that implemented the important quick save and lean features in the first game, went on to ditch those features for the (console targetted) sequels even in the PC port.

That's a shame because I'm enjoying Crysis 2 a lot as I did FEAR 2, but would undoubtedly have been up for repeat play if they hadn't tried to fix what wasn't broken in the first place.
B33 ENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
MADDOGGE

The big difference between FEAR2 and Cyrsis2 is we were blindsided by the removal of lean and quicksave in F2. just out of the blue they gutted FEAR1 for FEAR2. It came as a shock and resulted in a lot of hate. On the other hand, I never had any doubts with the sell out of Crytek that C2 would only have CP's. Once I heard those fateful words by that french sounding dude saying if it doesn't work for the controller it won't be in the game, I knew we were screwed. Funny thing is with real developers even on the consoles we still get manual saves. You just actually have to know what you are doing.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
[5N1P]
You just actually have to know what you are doing.
Y3ah, and you also have to want to make the additional 3ffort too.

We PC people are like some kind of testing ground. They make a PC game, it becomes extremely successful, so they port it to console.

Then after that, the publish3r naturally wants a $equel, but by then they've forgotten all about us desktop guinea pigs, so they make a console version first and all we get is sloppy s3conds.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #19
Zekiran

Don't hold back, guys, tell us how you really feel?

I love you so much. Yer funny.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #20
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
Don't hold back, guys, tell us how you really feel?

I love you so much. Yer funny.
The thing is "Z", we PC gamers aren't asking for the moon. All the things we ask for used to be common. It's so easy to make a PC gamers and an old school gamer happy for the most part at least with those things that can be changed.

I realize that with consoles as the lead we will never see the type of maps we got in the PC lead days again so it's not worth crying over. But things like FoV adjustment, manual and quicksaves in addition to checkpoints, multiple save slots, proper aspect ratio and resoulution adjustment, being able to turn off blur and bloom. All these as easy things and don't just benefit the PC .

When I play my 360 it's on my PC monitor not a TV and having a FoV of 65 with no way to adjust it really sucks. Automatically assuming everyone having a 360 or PS3 plays on a wide screen TV is assuming a lot. The same mistake MS has made with Win8 and it's tunnel vision of touch screens. Instead of an optional desktop UI's during installation for those with touch screens, they are forcing imo a mobile phone OS UI on everyone.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #21
Zekiran

When you say "we PC players"... Madd I'm a purely PC gamer. You have the experience of playing on a console, I don't - and I didn't miss the feature. It didn't ruin the game for me, or for most folks apparently, because plenty of people bought and enjoyed it without the urge to vomit because of small things that make very little difference in the long play of the game. I know where you're coming from, but I disagree that these things are the death of anything in PC gaming. They're a change, yes, and probably shouldn't be changed for the sake of balancing out the PC/Console experience. But it doesn't make the game in any way unplayable, just something else to learn while starting to play it.

I come at these games absolutely cold - no idea what to expect at all, I don't play on any device other than my PC. So I MUST take every game for what it's worth, and I cannot compare them to a console experience. I'm pretty sure that qualifies me as "we PC gamers" doesn't it?

@Nikolas: I loved almost everything else about the game, the artwork was simply mind-blowing. That they finally brought in the mega-biotch Aristide was good. It showed us a slightly different version of the world we'd been introduced to (and there were errors, believe me there were research things that could have been fixed if they'd done it, such as the year of the yellow pages found everywhere...)

Did you watch the Snake Fist video at the end? It's also in a separate folder but I can't remember how to access it.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
FreemanForPrez

Z, the reason so many people "bought and enjoyed it without the urge to vomit" is because everyone is getting numbed to what the console developers are doing to games these days.
We're being force fed the idea that a consolized port of a game is just the way it is and that's all we're getting and most people are just accepting it.

'D0663 is one of the few who's still aggressively championing our rights to these simple things like he mentioned above - unfortunately, as time goes by, more and more people are quietly justifying it to themselves and others instead of joining the crusade.

Meanwhile the game developers and publishers walk all over us, laughing all the way to the bank, while calling us criminals at the same time and blaming their poor sales and resultant lack of interest in a true PC version on us.

Last edited by FreemanForPrez: 06-10-2012 at 10:43 AM.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
B33 ENN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas Dudecek View Post
Has anyone that has played F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin from start to finish enjoy the story line at all?

...Now, what about Characters? Story line? Graphics? Gameplay? Controls? Weapons? Sounds?
Hi Nikolas, I'll keep this brief as it is off-topic, but would like to reply for context. Being a fan of the 90's Japanese horror classics Ju-On and Ringu (on which the theme of Alma is based), I love the F.E.A.R. storyline and characterisations, although I think they could have done more with it. Likewise, being a fan of The Matrix films, I love the Slo-Mo feature and general shooting mechanics of the game. This review I wrote after I first played it (to encourage sandbox players on another forum to try it) goes into some depth and answers your points more fully:

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/fo...p?topic=1937.0

I think you'll agree it is very positive in that, like Zekiran, I looked at the game for what it was rather than focus on what it changed or didn't have. In posts elsewhere on this Forum you'll find I am positive about the game too.

However, when the need arises we have to make a point that there are standards to which PC game design must try to conform, just like consoles have their standards to pass before being approved by Sony/MS/Nintendo. Otherwise, slowly features that even you expect could also slowly vanish in future.

I gave the comparison with Crysis 2 earlier, now I'll give another example. When Deus Ex: Human Revolution was due as a multi-platform release, people were quite passionate that the PC version have all the expected features, especially since the original was a PC game that is still hailed as one of the all-time greats.

Nixxes, the people that ported it to PC, mostly got it right as the design of the PC version was done in parallel from the outset. However, some things got left out and one in particular was very important to me, namely the ability to run the game in a window, without which I couldn't play the game as I preferred to. There was only a small minority of us that wanted it, but we made a fuss on the forums and they listened.

After a couple of patches they added it, along with many other fixes and improvements people asked for. I came away happy with the experience and put like 80hrs or so into it as well as buying the DLC. As a result, I recommend the game a lot, and the next game they make, I'll be even more inclined to buy.

So what we are asking for isn't that difficult to deliver when a developer/publisher respects the PC platform as an equal to the consoles rather than an afterthought just to increase revenue.

Last edited by B33 ENN: 06-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.
B33 ENN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series