Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > New Users / Training

Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
gh0stf00t

*Sometimes* TF2 wil NOT start.

Problem#1: Sometimes TF2 till not start, or will take 50 minutes to start. To solve this, I restart steam and let the steam cloud sync. When i do this, steam takes forever to load up so I have to close steam through task manager. After around 3-4 tries of opening and closing steam, i finally log on, and tf2 starts normally. This happens frequently, is there a fix to this? I've already tried validating my tf2 files multiple times.

Problem #2: Tf2 is the only game that when i play *SOMETIMES* my "Video driver stops responding" and my screen goes black. Completely black. This is the only game out of over a hundred that does this.

Can anyone help?

Reply #1 by me:

Quote:
Those solutions did not work.

And yes I have also upgraded my drivers.

My tf2 sometimes takes a long time to start up, forcing me through multiple steam restarts which also take a long time.

I have a GeForce 8800 GT.

Again, randomly my game will go into a complete black screen, with the game sounds running like usual. So I'm still in game, and can move around, but my whole screen is black forcing me to restart the game.

Bare in mind, I can run other games such as D3, WoW, Guild wars 1/2, CS:S, Killing floor, and left for dead all perfectly.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Last edited by gh0stf00t: 05-18-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
Mr_Moist

when you let TF2 validate, do stop it when it reaches 100%? if so, dont do that, even when it says 100% it is still doing its merry thing in whatever steam files it needs to do. Just leave it for a few hours and hopefully it should be fixed/done.

You could also backup all the other games you have on a hard drive, except for TF2, and completely remove steam from your computer, and then re install steam, and TF2. This may not be good for your download limit if you are worried about that.

Maybe see if your drivers and things need upgrading?
Mr_Moist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
gh0stf00t

I do not stop the validation, but I'll validate one more time.

Also, I keep my drivers up to date, but I'll check for any recent updates just in case.

I'll keep you informed of my progress, thanks. Anyone else?
gh0stf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
mattyboyrocks23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stf00t View Post
Problem#1: Sometimes TF2 till not start, or will take 50 minutes to start. To solve this, I restart steam and let the steam cloud sync. When i do this, steam takes forever to load up so I have to close steam through task manager. After around 3-4 tries of opening and closing steam, i finally log on, and tf2 starts normally. This happens frequently, is there a fix to this? I've already tried validating my tf2 files multiple times.

Problem #2: Tf2 is the only game that when i play *SOMETIMES* my "Video driver stops responding" and my screen goes black. Completely black. This is the only game out of over a hundred that does this.

Can anyone help?
1. Maybe deleting your tf folder and then getting it again may help you in subsequent starts. I did that with my friend who had a problem of tf2 NEVER starting and it worked.

Try defragmenting your hard drive. Go Start Menu > Search up Disk Defragmenter (already on Windows) > Click Analyze Disk > Defragment Disk.

Analyzing and defragging takes a few hours, so do it when you have free time

The higher percentage that is fragmented means the slower your computer will run. Generally, the rule of thumb is that you defrag at 10% or higher, though I defrag is I'm at 7% or higher.

2. That's just your garphics card then. I play TF2 without a graphics card and it runs fine.
mattyboyrocks23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
gh0stf00t

Those solutions did not work.

And yes I have also upgraded my drivers.

My tf2 sometimes takes a long time to start up, forcing me through multiple steam restarts which also take a long time.

I have a GeForce 8800 GT.

Again, randomly my game will go into a complete black screen, with the game sounds running like usual. So I'm still in game, and can move around, but my whole screen is black forcing me to restart the game.

Bare in mind, I can run other games such as D3, WoW, Guild wars 1/2, CS:S, Killing floor, and left for dead all perfectly.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
gh0stf00t is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > New Users / Training