Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sol Survivor

Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
bekeleven

Survival Screenshots

I figure in the interest of mutual improvement, we should try to catalog strategies that worked well in survival, so that others can improve upon them.

Here's my last game, in which I went 1:11 on cargo outpost, roughly doubling my previous best. As you can see, the main strategy was layering missile towers (Nearly as much damage as lasers, but longer range, AOE and stunning) and speed boosters (stacking DPS increase higher than crit boost, unless I'm wrong about that one). Then teslas on corners and goo/radiations everywhere.

If I run it again, I may drop AA Flak from my build. Air is scary, and Teslas and goo can't hit it, but in the end it was all ground units that killed me, so they can't have been that big of a threat. I only built 5 flak the whole game.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
stinkypantsr

Thanks only just started on survival yesterday and am yet to hit over 20 mins so its a help to see what others are up to.
stinkypantsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
bekeleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkypantsr View Post
Thanks only just started on survival yesterday and am yet to hit over 20 mins so its a help to see what others are up to.
No problem, learning experience for me too.

I tried a similar build on Spaceport here, and got to 1:11 again. I replaced my FLAK with power stations and went to 235 power, which unfortunately ended up not enough to spam my 5 late-game supports.
bekeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Tomohawkmissile

BAH, missles! Drones deal more damage and can be used more offensively than everyone thinks they can, if you give them the right boosts ;D

I've had 2-3 lvl3 drone towers take down multiple zorasts before.
Tomohawkmissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
bekeleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomohawkmissile View Post
BAH, missles! Drones deal more damage and can be used more offensively than everyone thinks they can, if you give them the right boosts ;D

I've had 2-3 lvl3 drone towers take down multiple zorasts before.
Meh.

- Missiles have longer range
- Missiles are AoE (their real benefit)
- Missiles have faster retargeting time
- Missiles are cheaper
- Missiles benefit more from boost towers

I'd take that over 25% more single-target damage.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
The009

The game is a lot of fun, as my buddy and I play it a lot, we are not the best but here are some screen shots of things we have done.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/The009/...lter=app_45000
The009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
bekeleven

Changes I've made recently:

- Although speed booster is better than crit booster for the towers I use, using both damage boosts has a multiplicative effect, whereas using one has merely an additive effect. For this reason, I found crit was worth a spot in my lineup.

- Missiles form the bulk of my damage, but as concussive damage they're weak against biological, so make sure to throw some lasers in. I try to put all of my missiles first so that they can AoE out things and just leave the behemoks that they can't kill. This has the disadvantage that they will spend an inordinate amount of time targeting said behemoks instead of enemies they can effectively damage. I'm still comparing.

- As fun as it is to take a single inhibitor and range boost it 4 or 5 times, it's sadly more cost effective to just place multiple.

- Placing a few AA Flak at the start can help clear out flying targets, which is good both because of their high dps and because it means your radiations will be AoEing the ground instead of firing into the clouds. I'm still, however, jarateed off that AA is weak against the flying boss. Who thought that up?

- I'm still comparing placing slow goo/turbulence towers into my grid vs. outside of it. Both have their advantages. I think as a whole I'm going to start moving my radiation towers away from the creeps so that they switch targets more often.

Anyway, this is a thread for screenshots, so here's one incorporating most of the changes I listed. Using a similar strategy I was able to go 1:17 on The Long Road on hard. However, these particular example require 2 players working carefully together in order to get all of the turrets used:
  • Missiles, Lasers, Pillboxes, and Flak for damage
  • Speed and crit boosters (optional range boosters)
  • Slow Goo, Turbulence, tesla and radiation
  • Inhibitors

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sol Survivor