Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
violadejessupz

At my wits end -- slowly losing access to areas

At first, when I played Skyrim, I had zero problems. This lasted for a long time, until I noticed a little stuttering suddenly and decided to use the hotfix to fix that. It seemed to work for a little while but I noticed there were some areas that I couldnt access, unless I wanted to immediately CTD.

Slowly, more and more of the game has become off limits. I can no longer enter the Thieves guild by any entrance. Nor can I enter my main home in Solitude. If I try, I immediately CTD.

I have tried lowering the resolution, using windows mode, using low settings, everything even including completely deleting the game and redownloading everything (except for keeping a few save games because I am level 60) but nothing works. More and more content is becoming off limits.

If anyone can provide me with any hope, or thought or procedure it would be very kindly taken, thank you.

My computer stats:

core i7 overclocked to 4 ghz (have removed overclocking but that doesnt help).

12 go of GTX Corsair DDR 3 ram, again overclocked or not, no change.

EVGA GTX 580 vanilla graphics card overlocked slightly or not at all. Ingame Temps stay at low 30's to upper 50's when stressed, but nothing helps. Using msi afterburner 2.1.0.

I can think of nothing to rectify this situation. My skills are above average but nothing like expert. But my brother is an expert and can help if I can find some remedy to be applied.

Thank you all in advance.

tama
Old 01-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Deathscythe0xx0

Damn man. Sorry for your trouble. You using any mods? With a pc like that you shouldn't be having any problems. First I've heard of this stuff happening. Have you tried different t character in the same place?
Deathscythe0xx0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Xinra

There's never a need to delete the game, and reinstall it... ever. With Steam's "Verify Integrity of Cache", it will always fix a corrupted file. FYI.
Xinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
violadejessupz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathscythe0xx0 View Post
Damn man. Sorry for your trouble. You using any mods? With a pc like that you shouldn't be having any problems. First I've heard of this stuff happening. Have you tried different t character in the same place?
havent made a different character but I can try that I guess.

No mods at all. Will try creating a new character but I hate to do it because I have one at level 61 and I really don't want to do all those quests over again.
violadejessupz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
kyzhuchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by violadejessupz View Post
havent made a different character but I can try that I guess.

No mods at all. Will try creating a new character but I hate to do it because I have one at level 61 and I really don't want to do all those quests over again.
there's your problem

try this mod http://www.multiupload.com/HLCKZF30EG
that rig shouldn't have problems with skyrim
kyzhuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
taltamir

@OP: From what I hear that is a result of a corrupt save file. Reload a save from just before the first CTD happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinra View Post
There's never a need to delete the game, and reinstall it... ever. With Steam's "Verify Integrity of Cache", it will always fix a corrupted file. FYI.
That is incorrect, quite often it doesn't and a reinstall works.
taltamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
violadejessupz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzhuchan View Post
there's your problem

try this mod http://www.multiupload.com/HLCKZF30EG
that rig shouldn't have problems with skyrim
What is this file? It says "Ilived download manager" how can this help me with skyrim?
violadejessupz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
ZakTheEvil

Try checking the file integrity using Steam client as someone said above. It happened to me three times already: I was unable to enter certain areas of the game, or buildings and the game would crash. This game seems to be prone to file corruption somehow. Each time you enter a new area, cave or building the game needs to load files from your HD. If they're damaged, it'll crash.

Although, reloading files via Steam can take some time so I made a backup of the game folder and when it happened the third time I just copied over the game folder from the backup and it worked.
ZakTheEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
chronicpirate

You should take a look at page 22 on this page and start reading from my post on..

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...241857&page=22

I also have dissused this same issue in a few other threads.. I would link them but when I went to search for them I found the idiot horse ers that run this forum decided to disable search atm.. so when it's up again just click my user name and then go to the statistics tab and view all my posts.. should be able to find the threads that way..

like someone else mentioned it's probably occurring due to a corrupted save file.. which for me, and the others I've found though the forums, starts when your save file gets above around 16-18MB.. it doesn't happen for everybody when they get that big but enough people to say that it's definitely a real issue and not just everybody's computer ing it up.. me and one other forum member even went so far as to load a save from a good 5-10 hours previous and all the problem locations were fine.. Then we played totally different quests in opposite sides of the map and once our saves reached teh 18MB size again the exact same issues started up again...

If you read my posts you'll also notice that I started a new game, all the borked places on my 18MB save were fine and I've played 40 hours on the new char and not ONE SINGLE CTD, missing texture, or other bs..

based on your description I would bet anything your in the same boat and if you started a new game it would be flawless..
chronicpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
anthonydraco

Try sleeping too. It helps the game get rid of some garbage data like corpses and all unwanted scattered items. A dragon skeleton used to freeze my game once, because it sunk into the floor and used up too much calculations.
anthonydraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
kyzhuchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by violadejessupz View Post
What is this file? It says "Ilived download manager" how can this help me with skyrim?
that mod is called "SkyBoost"
on my own rig, it gave me a maximum of 50% fps improvement and it allowed my 2 x 5770 run skyrim at Ultra settings (except shadows at high) using 4xAntialiasing

just download it and extract all files inside your skyrim folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim)

you will know if that mod works if in this that directory, a file called "asiloader.log" is created, Open it and it must said that it loaded properly
kyzhuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Jumper1962

I think I'm the other user that chronicpirate was referring to. I had the same problems that seemed to be related to getting to a certain save file size. I was not using fast travel at all, which makes me think that accumulated clutter can't be dealt with by the game.

I tried the cleanup/sleep method (actually sleeping for 31 days in my clutter-free house) and it did not work. I also verified my local game files via Steam. When I went back to a previous save with the same character all was fine until I reached the same approximate point and then the same areas started with CTDs. Also, new dungeon areas would load without all of the textures.

This is not a computer or performance issue, but appears to be a genuine bug. Not all people are encountering it, so it may be hard for Bethesda to track down (although they have had similar problems with their previous games). Since there is no crash log generated, there is nothing to send to Bethesda to help them diagnose the issue.

As with chronicpirate, I started a new game and all of the areas work fine with no CTDs. I'm worried that when I get around level 58-60 I'll have the same problem, but we shall see.
Jumper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
Appl250

I'd say more and more people are going to encounter this issue once they get to a certain file size.

It's a very serious bug for people who want to endlessly play Skyrim even after completing the quests available, but even before then people are getting CTD in certain areas and yes it doe spread to other locations as the file size gets bigger.

I've restarted again due to this issue.
Hopefully it will be dealt with in the next patch but seriously, this issue should have been dealt with before it was released.
Appl250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #14
chronicpirate

I wish some mod would sticky a good thread on this so its easy to find when more people see this happen
chronicpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
Tox Laximus

Banned
I seriously think for problems that cause terminal faults people should insist on a refund, it's not the customers problem to fix these games, if you keep letting software devs get away with it then they will keep ripping you off.
Tox Laximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V