Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Revenge of the Titans

Old 11-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
princec

Puppy Games
Lightbulb BWAAAA! All my saved games are gone!!

There is a complicated way to fix this which you can find on our blog. If you can't find the answer on our blog without me linking to it, the solution is too complicated for you to effect. Please don't try it at home and please don't ask me how to fix it.

If this is you, then you can simply turn off Cloud support for the game to get your saves and progress back. If you want to use the cloud support otherwise, you're going to have to either get savvy, or start a campaign again from the start - sorry.

I did investigate an automated fix but the cost:benefit of me doing so didn't work out well.

Cas
Old 11-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
lozerbick

It'd be nice if you helped, instead of having people dig through the comments on your blog. It is your product after all, you should support it.

reposted from a user on puppygame's blog:

Quote:
1. Start the game first. This is important, or Steam Cloud will ignore your old saves!

2. Copy your old save folder from:
- C:\Users\[username]\.revenge_of_the_titans_1.80 (Windows Vista/7)
- C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\.revenge_of_the_titans_1.80 (Windows XP)

To the new save folder:
- [steam folder]\userdata\[random number]\93200\remote\.revenge_of_the_titans_1.80

Overwrite any existing files in the new folder.

3. Exit the game, Steam Cloud will now sync up your old save data where it’s safe and sound!
lozerbick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
princec

Puppy Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozerbick View Post
It'd be nice if you helped, instead of having people dig through the comments on your blog. It is your product after all, you should support it.

reposted from a user on puppygame's blog:
It doesn't always work and can cause more problems.

It'd be nice if you realised that we're just two blokes working from our bedrooms too and don't have a lot of time to deal with everything that comes up.

Cas
princec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Metal_Izanagi

Wow, seriously? "don't have a lot of time to deal with everything that comes up"? Then why did you charge people for the game to begin with, if you don't have the time to take care of problems as they come up? That's what developers do; they fix the problems their game has. If the latest patch drops saves, you FIX IT. Nobody cares if it isn't cost-effective for you; we paid for your game, so SUPPORT IT.
Metal_Izanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Arantor

It's not as simple as that, actually.

Firstly, RotT has been actively developed for far longer than most games after its release. Most games appear on Steam, get marginal updates to fix the odd bug, and then just fade away.

Now, let's say that you had a bug in the game that caused you to get far more money than you're supposed to. "Fixing" that bug will screw some players over, will benefit others because they'll find the difficulty curve doesn't skew so badly for them over time (because in RotT, money dictates - to a point - difficulty). Should such a 'bug' be fixed?

Secondly, this game has massively, massively changed over time. So much so that having an older save game would make the game experience very different to more recent play-throughs. Probably to the point where it was actually just better in the long run not to support older save games *at all*.

Lastly, they're just two guys. The on-going long tail sales of RotT are not going to sustain them indefinitely, so there has to come a time when they have to stop working on bugs and start working on something new to sustain their ability to develop anything at all. As indicated, the cost of spending the time to fix such a bug, versus the number of people affected and the amount of crap that will ensue from not fixing it, it's just not serious enough to warrant them fixing it automatically.

Having developed systems myself where I've intentionally had to say to a paying customer, "Look, this cannot be done automatically, you'll just have to do it yourself", I can understand why Cas took the sort of choice he did. Having also been a customer on the other end of such setups, I can also understand why it sucks. But while every technical problem has a technical solution, sometimes the downsides to that solution may well outweigh the pain of doing it manually, and here's one of those times.
Arantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
princec

Puppy Games
Basically, that - we've just spent 2 months doing ... things ... to Revenge of the Titans, for free. Fixing the cloud saves issue was too low a priority, affected too few people, and was in fact incredibly technically complicated to fix. The easiest solution was simply to suggest turning off cloud support, as most people don't need/want it anyway.

<edit>It's also worth mentioning that cloud support and achievements were added for free too, months and months after almost everyone bought the game. It's our way of saying thanks for the support. Likewise the ... things ... you will soon discover in the latest patch.

Cas

Last edited by princec: 12-16-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
TrafalgarLaw

Well...too few people isn't right as I lost my save too. But since this is a pretty fun and good game, I don't mind starting from scratch. If I want to use cloud/achievements, so be it. But don't assume everyone is going to be this mellow and coolant about this. You should have anticipated savefile issues since almost every game that didn't feature steam cloud from day, has these issues when enabling steam cloud.

A little looking into this before pushing out the update would have saved everyone a lot of trouble and grief.

Last edited by TrafalgarLaw: 12-27-2011 at 05:55 PM.
TrafalgarLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #8
princec

Puppy Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafalgarLaw View Post
Well...too few people isn't right as I lost my save too. But since this is a pretty fun and good game, I don't mind starting from scratch. If I want to use cloud/achievements, so be it. But don't assume everyone is going to be this mellow and coolant about this. You should have anticipated savefile issues since almost every game that didn't feature steam cloud from day, has these issues when enabling steam cloud.

A little looking into this before pushing out the update would have saved everyone a lot of trouble and grief.
I did of course anticipate it. It was basically a bit too hard to do reliably in the time we had versus the number of people it affected and the amount of grief it causes to those people. It would have been better if we could have specified that existing installations remained with Cloud turned off and new installations got Cloud by default, but Steam doesn't have that facility unfortunately.

Cas

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Revenge of the Titans