Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
FarDeath69

You cannot play this game on steam in OFFLINE MODE!

This is a remake of my original thread where I was not specific enough.

I have the game, I have ran the game multiple times online and I am having a blast.

The problem is, my school blocks all steam ports so while I am there I cannot connect to steam. After having ran the game multiple times online(as with every other steam game) I should be able to put my account into Offline Mode and then play the game when I do not have an internet connection. This is not the case with Dead Island, here is the error I receive:

"Steam not Initialized" and "Steam is required to play Dead Island"

I am using the steam client in Offline mode to launch the game and it gives that error.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
stevenxowens792

I run in offline fine. I started the game as a single player game without online and it works fine. Set your steam account to offline before you go to school.. I hope it works for you.
Best Wishes,
StevenX
stevenxowens792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
FarDeath69

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenxowens792 View Post
I run in offline fine. I started the game as a single player game without online and it works fine. Set your steam account to offline before you go to school.. I hope it works for you.
Best Wishes,
StevenX
I am trying this right now @ home, I have just gone from online mode to offline mode.

and it gave me the same error.

I am now going to delete the game and reinstall.

and OFFLINE MODE, as in not just clicking on your FL and going offline, I am using the steam tab and hitting the Go Offline... button
FarDeath69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
cardician

You're right, the game does not run in offline mode. It's yet another bug with the game. Don't let these fools tells you different. I believe it did run in Offline mode before they "patched" it, but after the 76MB patch released yesterday the game no longer runs in Offline mode, period.
cardician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Psycold

damn....that's annoying, I do plan on playing this sometimes where I have no internet whatsoever
Psycold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
FarDeath69

Well, I am reinstalling it just to make sure I will post back when it's done.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Sifer2

It seems the patch really broke more than it fixed for the most part. Multiplayer,Game saves, Offline mode, Pre-order DLC. All that gone just to stop people from going into no clip if they hold Y lol.
Sifer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
stevenxowens792

Sorry, i have not patched my game as I am still offline from the original install.. I think I will set the game to not-patch now. Thanks for the heads up. My offline mode still works so im going to keep it that way,
stevenxowens792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
FarDeath69

this blows, 6 hours of class tonight and this is the one game I wanted to play =(
Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
FarDeath69

bump for justice.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
kyleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarDeath69 View Post
I am trying this right now @ home, I have just gone from online mode to offline mode.

and it gave me the same error.

I am now going to delete the game and reinstall.

and OFFLINE MODE, as in not just clicking on your FL and going offline, I am using the steam tab and hitting the Go Offline... button
You might check and make sure that in the game options your set to single player mode and lan, that might help. There was a day 0 bug where even if you were set to single player it would still show join requests all of the time unless you set it to LAN play, then changed to single player mode. At least I remember some people saying that worked.
kyleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
FarDeath69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh View Post
You might check and make sure that in the game options your set to single player mode and lan, that might help. There was a day 0 bug where even if you were set to single player it would still show join requests all of the time unless you set it to LAN play, then changed to single player mode. At least I remember some people saying that worked.
You have not read the topic nor the issue, I believe you are severely confused sir.

Do this for me, on your steam program there is a button on top that says steam that opens a dropdown menu. There is an option to "Go Offline..." click that button and set it to offline mode.

Now try launching the game.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
Goathief

Should make a post on the game's forums as well as here. That really does suck, "Requires a permanent connection to the internet" should be clearly stated on the packaging and/or Steam page.

Completely unacceptable in my honest opinion and probably good grounds for a refund.
Goathief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
atomicW4R

yet another pitfall i can personally confirm. i tried it after reading the thread as i also suffered from gpu heating (fixed by turning off or getting sli to work properly with nvidia inspector), lack of dlc ripper, stutters, lag when some tries to connect on coop...though i managed to dodge a bullet and save files reverting after the patch were not a problem. but mostly i have been hit with them all. I love the game and its potential but there is no call for something like these being released and if the internet connectivty is a DRM issue and not just bad code, then yes it should have been marketed accordingly. I may have avoided the game all together as i do not get on board with online connectivity required when i can avoid it.
atomicW4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
FarDeath69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goathief View Post
Should make a post on the game's forums as well as here. That really does suck, "Requires a permanent connection to the internet" should be clearly stated on the packaging and/or Steam page.

Completely unacceptable in my honest opinion and probably good grounds for a refund.
I have and here is the link

http://www.deadislandforums.com/show...n-OFFLINE-MODE!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island