Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Avencast: Rise of the Mage

Old 09-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Solinarius

Lightbulb [Mod]Hockety Pockety Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinarius View Post
HOCKETY POCKETY MAGIC
A strategic combat, difficulty and Soul Magic rebalance project

I'm happy to introduce what seems to be the first mod project release for Avencast and my first publicly released mod as well! Although I'm quite late to the party, better late than never right ?
So, I continued work on this project a few months ago and I feel it's ready enough for another release. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b8...Beta-1.44b.zip

You'll need the Hotfix too:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ao...fix1-1.44b.zip

THE README:

Hockety Pockety Magic mod beta 1.44b for Avencast

This mod is a work in progress and feedback on the changes detailed below as well as well for other things that could use attention are appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INSTALLATION/TIPS
~~~~~~~~~~~~
After backing up any data that this mod replaces (optional of course), extract the contents of the Hockety Pockety Magic folder into the main Avencast directory.

- Fire Burst and Teleport require a certain Field of View to work properly. 75 is recommended for 1680x1050 resolution (Change the FoV in the game.cfg located in the cfg folder of main Avencast directory)
- Fire Burst and Teleport are awkward to use with "Expert" camera, so it's not recommended
- Balancing is based on hard difficulty, which is recommended for the full challenge
- Use combo input for casting
- It's recommended to learn 6 or more spells in the Soul Magic tree
- Don't use this mod if you plan to take the Blood Magic path
- I was unable to change spell names in the trees, so look at the included picture if you're confused about which spell is which
- Cooldowns prevent you from zoning while they are active

INTRODUCTION TO HOCKETY POCKETY MAGIC
~~~~~~~~~~~~
HPM is a personal project, and thus, most changes are subject to personal playstyle and some things will remain unfinished indefinitely. Now, the idea of HPM is to implement an archtypical magic-user experience based off my ideals of how one should function in a game. The main ideals being versatility and efficiency. This is quite hard to pull off given mine and Avencast's limits and the balance is quite delicate but I feel I've done a fairly decent job and it's been a fun experience. My other longterm goals were for combat to become more tactical and the challenge to be fairer but still satisfying.

FEATURES
~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Four new spells)
- Soul Bolt: Evokes a broad soul rune that explodes on contact, stunning whoever's in the blast. The blast also knocks down. Replaces Magic Wave.
- Twin Soul Barrage/Tempest: Several missiles are channeled for a brief period. The bolts cause a very short stun and Tempest is pervasive. Magic Missiles for Avencast! Replaces Meteor, tiers 1 and 2.
- Fire Burst: Creates an explosion at the targeted area. Can move while cast.
- Teleport: Instantly travel a short distance. This takes a bit of finesse to use as it's a targeted spell (bugy). Raising your cursor to the ceiling is required for maximum range. While the cursor's "invalid target" check does its job well, you can still phase yourself into walls near Teleport's maximum range, so be careful. Teleport's distance is radically effected by stairs, increased when going down, stunted when going up. Replaces Berserker Assault.

(The Soul Magic tree has been rebalanced and the elements revised)
- Cooldowns were added to most spells
- Many spells have been given secondary effects
- Soul spells are efficient, have high requirements and cooldowns ranging from 6 to 60 seconds.
- Fire spells are less efficient, have low requirements and cooldowns ranging from 2 to 24 seconds.
- Cold spells are the least efficient, have moderate requirements and no cooldown

(Other miscellaneous changes are listed in the Changelist)

TO DO/OBSERVATION
~~~~~~~~~~~~
- I plan to add more attacks to enemy AI and change some behaviors. This is most especially for blood mages who I may convert entirely to the soul path.

- Cooldowns: I would have preferred using visual ques tied to the UI to signal a spell's refreshment but I couldn't get them to show up. I may revisit this at a later date.

CHANGELIST
~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Version 1.44b beta**
-----------
Soul/Blood Magic
===
- Cast combos, spell levels, and various spell stats were revised again and to more accurately fit the elemental revision
- Fire Lance: Converted back to original mechanics (was too ugly)
- Ice Bolt: Moved back to original spot on soul tree with 3 tiers
- Soul Chalice: Returned to soul tree and upgraded
- Soul Meteor: Removed tier 1 and 2
- Soul Barrage: Discarded tier 1 and moved tiers 2 and 3 into Soul Meteor (1 & 2)

GFX
===
- Added custom icons for Soul Bolt and Fire Burst (Teleport may or may not get one later)

SFX
===
- Soul Chalice: Added custom cast and hit sounds
- Quietened hideously loud imp sounds

**Version 1.44a beta**
-----------
Soul/Blood Magic
===
- Various cooldown revisions
- Fire Burst: Lowered damage slightly
- Fire Lance: Changed to an enchant, like Ice Shards
- Fire Wall: Increased burn damage; Halved burn effect
- Soul Barrage(1-3): Reduced cannot-move time
- Soul Bolt: (Decided to revise it like all other soul spells) Added extreme knockback and short stun, raised cooldown, increased AoE, Added refresh sound
- Teleport: Raised cooldown

Last edited by Solinarius: 09-11-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Arzh Holmes

Can I ask where to download game.cfg?
The Avencast Rise Of The mage that I downloaded is corrupted.
When I open the game, it said "DXC_Gfx:cfgLoader Error:Can not open file cfg\game.cfg, Code 2", any solution? D:
Old 10-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Solinarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzh Holmes View Post
Can I ask where to download game.cfg?
The Avencast Rise Of The mage that I downloaded is corrupted.
When I open the game, it said "DXC_Gfx:cfgLoader Error:Can not open file cfg\game.cfg, Code 2", any solution? D:
Just delete the game.cfg and start the game again perhaps?
Solinarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Solinarius

Bump. New version!
Solinarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Avencast: Rise of the Mage