Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000

Old 08-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
ravensword227

Aura bug while playing alien

I noticed that humans turn red and green. This is a bug. I have tried playing on a Nvidia or ATI computer, and it is the same. I have noticed play-throughs on YouTube with the bug.

I tried deleting the game, along with the virtual store, setting admin mode, data execution protection off, Win-XP compat, turning graphics down, and so forth, with no success.

This is something that I have noticed that did not exist before, I believe, a patch or two ago, so the patch must have broken functionality. I repurchased the game on GamersGate for $2 - same deal. I'm not about to gamble getting it for $5 on dotEmu.

I have also noticed another problem like the video panel not playing in Marine mission three.

Can this be fixed?

ADD:

Presumably those on Windows 7 64bit are having the most problems. Compatibility mode does not seem to fix this. This is someone else's speedrun. Skip ahead to see aura bug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dItKT7q8ybo

Last edited by ravensword227: 08-13-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
Aph3x-SkorpioN

Don't think it can be fixed, but it doesn't affect gameplay, so I don't see a reason to rebuy the game over this.
Aph3x-SkorpioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
ravensword227

It even happens on Onlive (just playing the free trial, didn't buy). Its annoying as hell. It feels like 2/3 of a game, tbh. It does affect mood.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Mad Max RW

AvP Gold is buggy as all hell on modern computers. You're wasting your time trying to fiddle with it because for every fix another thing breaks. For AvP Classic the only thing you can do is update all your drivers in the right order (safe mode with driver sweeper, restart, reinstall). Reinstalling the DirectX 9.0c redist is also very important.

Very rarely will I see the human auras change colors from blue to green. The times I do it's very specific to when civilians are behind glass, and only at certain distances. It's such a rare occurrence and hard to notice, there's no reason to complain about it. I'd love to see Rebellion fix a bunch of other glitches first. There's a few very nasty multiplayer bugs that can ruin it for others if you know how to repeat them.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
ravensword227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Reinstalling the DirectX 9.0c redist is also very important.
Doesn't Windows 7/Vista come with DX 10? I didn't know I can downgrade if I was on 7. I'm 64 bit too, if that matters, and it might. Still its good to see you don't have the problem (as often).

The problem, unfortunately, is a lot more common for a few others; the humans change color every second or two, depending on distance, but yeah, they pretty much change a lot. The only time they don't change for me was in Alien level one just before I trip the "Xenomorph detected sensor" at the beginning of the level.

I doubt Rebellion will fix this. It almost makes me wonder if they broke it on purpose to sell AvP 2010 (which I bought along with one of the overpriced level packs). It was working perfectly before the last patch. I just didn't say anything because I figured someone else would and they never did.

Anyway, because I don't truely own the game under Steam, its not within my power to downgrade and Valve doesn't care like the GoG devs might. Depressing digital delivery these days...

Its good that people can deal with that, tho, I guess.

Last edited by ravensword227: 08-12-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Mad Max RW

Your OS could be the problem. Vista and Win 7 stopped including the d3d9 dll's because they figured nobody would use them. It shouldn't be necessary, but try downloading the DirectX redistributable from here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109
That covers everything. The specific files you're probably missing from the Windows directory are d3dx9_26.dll and d3dx9_40.dll

Once again, it'd be so much easier if Rebellion would patch AvP Classic some more. The version we have is based on a fan made source port of AvP Gold with a few more additions and fixes (widescreen support, in-game server browser, Steam integration, etc.). That particular port was designed for Windows XP and DirectX 9. AvP Gold was designed for DirectX 6.

At the end of the day, they still released more than double the amount of patches for AvP Classic than they did for AvP 3 (2010). So you can't fault them for trying.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
jefequeso

I'm running into a similar problem. but it's not too terribly noticable.
jefequeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
ravensword227

I tried the redist files with the included installer. Now that I think of it, on the last patch, I did have the green aura on marines on the other side of a window. I wonder if you turned auto update off? Better not reinstall the game then.

I wish I had an XP partition - maybe I can virtual box it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefequeso View Post
I'm running into a similar problem. but it's not too terribly noticable.
What OS you on?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
jefequeso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensword227 View Post
I tried the redist files with the included installer. Now that I think of it, on the last patch, I did have the green aura on marines on the other side of a window. I wonder if you turned auto update off? Better not reinstall the game then.

I wish I had an XP partition - maybe I can virtual box it.

What OS you on?
Windows XP
jefequeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
ravensword227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefequeso View Post
Windows XP
Now that I recall, I might have been better off with Windows XP than before the patch. I did have AvP 2000 on a Vista 64bit machine too which is why I didn't think the aura was related to Windows 7.

I could probably install VirtualBox and Windows XP on a virtual partition.

EDIT: I added a video link to the OP so people could see what its similar to on my machine.

Last edited by ravensword227: 08-13-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
DarkSoul Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensword227 View Post
Its annoying as hell.
What is truly disturbing is how that guy moves the mouse on the video, damn, looks like an overcaffeinated alien.

My eyes hurt...
DarkSoul Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
Macchus

whne i was playing the aura changes on humans seemed to always be related to them detecting you...
Macchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
XenoSpyro

Banned
The aura is steam bought specific and is non-existant on the retail version of the game. However, it doesn't affect gameplay. If you are honestly bugged that much buy a color change on a character you are going to bite the head off of anyway, you might as well pick up a different game, because it won't be fixed.
XenoSpyro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000