Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2

Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Aucun

Steam Download - Total War Shogun 2

I have bought Shogun 2 Total War on steam while it was on sale yesterday and started the download. My power went out a few hours later when the download was around half way done, but when I restarted my computer I had to restart the download as it didn't save any of the information it downloaded for some reason.

After I restarted the download and left it over night with an eta of 17-19 hours. When I woke up to check on the download it was 3/4 done with an eta of 3-5 hours, so I left it for a while. I came back when it was at 1-2 hours and decided to play another game while I wait for it to finish. I checked it after an hour long game and it had gone backwards, and lost information it had download. My download was around 83-87% done before I started my game now and when it was done the download was around 70-75%. I'm not sure why this happened and I'm getting a little upset with the download speeds and information being lost on this 20 hours download. I'm not even sure my download will finish anymore, if not I would like my money back or a credit for steam in the same amount I paid. Not impressed with this download at all.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
3asytarg3t

I think the information you get back as it progresses can sometimes be misleading. So what I do when it tells me something I don't like or believe is I click on play game, even if it says it's still got a ways to go, and this on occasion has either prompted the download to show accurate info that reveals it was further along than it showed, or it restarts the process properly and it makes quicker progress from that point forward.

This though is usually after I've left it to download over night, because this game is rather large at like 20GB more or less, so it is going to take awhile, but at the amount of time you've got into it, you should be close.

I don't, and I could be wrong, believe that downloading continues if you elect to play other games w/in steam while this process is taking place. So I'd let it be and leave it to be the only thing running w/in steam to maximize getting the download done.

And for what it's worth, this game really is worth the trouble to get, which is not to say that steam doesn't on occasion prove aggravating to deal with, and that often shows itself in the download process in particular, I can't stress enough how very cool Shogun 2 really is. Stick with it. The reward will be you as general sitting on a horse on a battlefield with your army arrayed in front of you, cherry blossoms blowing across the field, as you contemplate the best strategy through which to rob your rival clan leader, both of his head and territory.
3asytarg3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Aucun

I have heard very goof things about this game and, as a person who enjoys strategy game, I know I will enjoy this one very much. The download is almost done now and I hope it doesn't roll back a few gigabytes like it did last time. I do think steam should have something in place for large games such as this one to make sure you don't have to re download them if they somehow run into problems or your internet connection just isn't stable enough, for long enough, to download the whole game in one sitting.

I do trust steam as a company to provide the services I paid for, but I also think they should take into consideration the millions who have had problems with stable internet and downloads. Putting a game such as this is, shall we say "pieces" for downloading rather then the whole thing at one time would be much better. That way you can turn off your computer even during downloading knowing your information is safe.
Aucun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
3asytarg3t

Well, once it finishes up for you and you get a couple hours under your belt come on back and let me know what you'd think. Always interesting to hear first impressions.

Have a good weekend.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Aucun

The download finished and I tried to start my game. I got an error message. After looking at the link provided by the error popup I found my error was as following.

Incomplete Installation (10)

Steam servers are busy. Please try again later.

I hope these server are not going to be busy all weekend as I have been looking forward to this game for the past week are so, and I hope to at least be able to play what I paid for.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
3asytarg3t

Man, that does suck. Sorry to hear it, hang in there!

Suspect the traffic from the sale and TF2 going free has things fairly bogged down.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Clickenhof

Only another 2 days and 1 hour to go....yes 2 days....wtf is going on ????????
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
Aucun

Finally, after the long wait my game has finished downloading and installed properly without any more problems. I'm happy to report it's working 100% and hasn't crashed or even lagged my computer at all, seems the information was downloaded correctly.

When I first loaded the game I was amazed by the detail put into the intro for the game, I also like how to game has the right resolution while playing the intro making it that tiny but better and more enjoyable to watch. I decided I would try out the tutorials before jumping into a campaign or a small battle and I can tell you it's worth the time. The game has so many complex features, not just in the units, but in moving your view of the battlefield to real life war tactics that work as they would in the time period the game is set in. I was very impressed with the detail of the game overall, you don't see many detailed Real Time Strategy games, most focus on game play and tactics, but this game seems to value both, and that for me means they took the time to not only make a good working game but a nice looking game at the same time.

This is a game I will be playing for a long while.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
3asytarg3t

Glad to hear you stuck it out!

And I totally agree, at least half of the reason I like this game so much is the time they took to nail the esthetic details. Every single detail feels like feudal japan, the visuals, menus, music, sound effects, everything.

As I've said elsewhere, I love the game as much because it's a fun strategy game as I do for the additional RPG element of developing your favorite units that through careful use become more and more skilled.

It's good stuff, enjoy!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2