Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
awesome_ninjaa

Banned
What are the chances of getting account disabled...

... by using CD Keys bought outside Steam for Steam?
My friend gifted me a FEAR 3 CD key to use on Steam that he bought off a CD key website (won't mention the name for obvious reasons). Can I get account disabled for that, or all I risk is having the game taken away from me?
Thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Bibs

What I heard is that your account can be disabled for that, if the cd-key is illegal. Anyway, that's what I heard and I can't confirm it for sure.

This kinda scares me, because I started using steam for the first time when I bought a cd-key for a few games, and I didn't even know what Steam was, I just knew I had to install it to use my cd-key, and now that I know.. Well, I never buy cd-keys, I don't care if it's a $50 game for $1, I just never buy cd-keys and I never will, I just kinda regret buying a cd-key, but what can I do now? :|

For your safety, you shouldn't buy cd-keys in any not authorized reseller, only from other legit sites that you get steamworks games (D2D, Impulse, GMG, GOG, Gamersgate, etc), these sites you are ok with.
Bibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
H4wk

My friend had one of those keys, valve removed the game from his account. He was still able to play rest of the games.
H4wk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
awesome_ninjaa

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4wk View Post
My friend had one of those keys, valve removed the game from his account. He was still able to play rest of the games.
oh ok...if it's all I risk then... it was a gift anyways, it's not like I'm losing something.
Can anyone else confirm that you'll only get the game removed?
awesome_ninjaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
H4wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome_ninjaa View Post
oh ok...if it's all I risk then... it was a gift anyways, it's not like I'm losing something.
Don't take the risk if you are not sure. Or better make a new account for the game.
H4wk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
KubanitoS

If you have some games on Steam you don't want to loose, then do not use that CD key. It is possible that it was stolen or obtained illegally. If someone notifies Valve (for example if the key was stolen from a retail Fear 3 box and the real buyer can't use it) then the softest result is that the game will be removed from your account. It is also possible, that your whole account will be disabled. I have also heard something like that in the past. This is also listed in the support site somewhere, but I couldn't find it now.

My advice: use that cd key on a newly created steam account. If something goes wrong, your other games are safe that way.
KubanitoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
cl4ym4n

Quote:
Not quite. Depends on how 'they' got the key in the first place. Most of those key shops buy those games in china or other countries where they are dirt cheap, throw away the retail box and just keep the key to sell it. While this procedure is a gray area in most countries where it's morality is being debated about there's usually nothing illegal about it as the keys got purchased properly in the first place.

However, there also are stores which purchase those keys with stolen credit cards and stuff. Activating a game that has been purchased through fraudulent methods will most likely get your whole account disabled (see here).

I already purchased quite a lot of keys in a certain key store but those were all non-steam games, simply because i wouldn't want to risk anything. The more games you have in your games library, the more paranoid you get...

If you're unsure what to do, either leave it be or just create a fresh steam account and activate the game on this one, to keep your original account out of the fire line - just in case something goes wrong.
cl4ym4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
KubanitoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl4ym4n View Post

However, there also are stores which purchase those keys with stolen credit cards and stuff. Activating a game that has been purchased through fraudulent methods will most likely get your whole account disabled (see here).
Yes, that is the link I wanted to show OP.

Basically, if you get caught with a stolen cd key registered on your account, it is possible that Valve will disable the acc and every game on it.

If you are lucky and the cd key is legit, nothing will happen.
KubanitoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
awesome_ninjaa

Banned
thanks everyone for their responses, I'll just use one of my secondary accounts to minimize the risk.
rep for everyone =)
Old 06-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Washell

Quote:
thanks everyone for their responses, I'll just use one of my secondary accounts to minimize the risk.
rep for everyone =)
All accounts that can be traced to the same person are likely to be disabled if Valve finds reason to disable one of them. Secondary accounts aren't a bulletproof solution.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
awesome_ninjaa

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
All accounts that can be traced to the same person are likely to be disabled if Valve finds reason to disable one of them. Secondary accounts aren't a bulletproof solution.
2048-bit SSL VPN is a bulletproof solution. I'd like to see them try to trace me down behind that...
Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
theunknifable

Your account can still be suspended for receiving gifts through stolen or fraudulent credit cards or transactions. Even if you had nothing to do with what went wrong.

Just stick to the clean way, and you'll be good. Been a steam user for 7 years. Never had a single problem.
theunknifable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
damaged

IMO, it's really not worth the risk. Wait for a sale, summer sale is coming up soon, prices will probably be better than that CD Key site anyhow.
damaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
evolve

Banned
It depends on the size of the site. If it is a popular and well known cd-keys site then there is minimal risk in purchasing and activating it, some of what is said in the TOS are scare tactics that will not hold up in court if anyone ever did attempt to take it further.

I have bought numerous games for Origin from cd-keys websites and they have never done anything to my account non for steam however as the prices are pretty good around sale time.

To be careful avoid activating keys from countries such as Russia/ MIddle East etc, as these a probably checked by steam due to the nature of these keys. If it is an english key and they provide the picture of the key then well it is pretty safe.
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
awesome_ninjaa

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchwrap View Post
God, so many paranoid and misinformed lemmings in this thread, I had to laugh.

The ONLY reason Steam would disable your account is if you bought a game directly through Steam using a stolen credit card. That's it.

Beyond that, if you are only registering retail CD Keys on Steam, then is a 0% (yes, ZERO) chance that your account will be disabled. Ever.

I've bought keys in the past from online stores that resell keys from Russian/Asian copies of games (which are sold cheaper in those regions), and never had a problem with them.

The very worst thing that ever happened was back when Modern Warfare 2 came out, Activision requested Valve remove Russian keys from non-Russian accounts, and that's what Valve did. They only removed the games from the account, nothing more (look up the incident on Google). Other than that, it's never really happened again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
It depends on the size of the site. If it is a popular and well known cd-keys site then there is minimal risk in purchasing and activating it, some of what is said in the TOS are scare tactics that will not hold up in court if anyone ever did attempt to take it further.

I have bought numerous games for Origin from cd-keys websites and they have never done anything to my account non for steam however as the prices are pretty good around sale time.

To be careful avoid activating keys from countries such as Russia/ MIddle East etc, as these a probably checked by steam due to the nature of these keys. If it is an english key and they provide the picture of the key then well it is pretty safe.
Thanks for the info.
I activated the key anyways and nothing happened...so far at least. Enjoying playing Fu**ing Run so far with friends xD

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion