Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
chrisdglong

Banned
Problem with Steam sync between computers

On my PC I can setup custom categories for my games in the Steam game library. However, when I sign into my Mac it fails to sync that new data and reverts to the old setup. Then, when I sign back into the PC version it has reverted the library to what the Mac version has (the one I changed the PC from). Should I just give up on expecting Valve to have this feature functioning like it should? It's kind of annoying really, I have a lot of games....
Old 04-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
Tooluka

Categories doesn't sync between any computers. So yes, you should give up.
Tooluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
tacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooluka View Post
Categories doesn't sync between any computers.
Just not true.

Game category syncing works. But not really reliable. Months ago I had similar problems. Sometimes the categories wouldn't show up at all. Once it even reverted back to a several week old state which was not present on any computer anymore.
So I just made some small changes every time so the loss would be minimal. One day it just started to work.
tacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
chrisdglong

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacc View Post
Just not true.

Game category syncing works. But not really reliable. Months ago I had similar problems. Sometimes the categories wouldn't show up at all. Once it even reverted back to a several week old state which was not present on any computer anymore.
So I just made some small changes every time so the loss would be minimal. One day it just started to work.
Thanks. I think, I'll follow your idea and only make small changes at a time.
chrisdglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
Desi

Bumping this because I lost my categories today. I spent an hour categorising my 450-odd games about a month ago. After playing Steam games on my other PC (which I hadn't used since the start of the year), my shiny new categories have been replaced with the old ones from the other computer.

My main computer had cloud sync off, the other computer had it on. For some reason it seems that my main computer synced the categories anyway, not checking which ones were newer. How can a basic feature be this broken?
Desi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips