Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Quijenoth

Steam for the Family

Hi all - first time posting here but I have a question regarding the use of steam with my kids.

My eldest Son is starting to ask if he can play some of the games I have been playing on steam. Now I have 2 PCs at home so I am happy to install a game on another PC and log in so he can play when im not using steam but a lot of games I play are either multiplayer MMOs or Co-Op and it would be great if I could play co-op with him.

My concern is however, is he old enough (9 yrs) to have a steam account? is there a minimum age and what restrictions can I enforce as a Parent? alternatively is there an extension to my steam account that would allow family usage of games?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
EleOnAUnicycle

Steam does need you to be at least 13 but you can always lie. Also, there is no family extension on a steam account.
EleOnAUnicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Astaco

He has to play with your account, when you are not using it.
I'm not sure if this is legal in the sense of steams ToS, but no one would know.

MMOs and coop games cannot be played with only one account.
Your son needs an own account since you cannot log into one accont on two PCs at the same time.
Therefore every game yo want to play together you need to own twice (one license on each account).

I don't think hat a child of nine years should own a separate steam account.
I started plaing games at the age of eight, but only selected games on a dedicated computer.
Mainly jump and runs.

Age verification etc. are not available on steam (you can view 18+ games etc).
Afaik there is no such thing as a 'family extension'. And I doubt this will ever exist since people would buy less games.

You should probably tell yor kid about security issues (not telling the password to anyone etc.).
Astaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
MADDOGGE

Steam has no parental controls unfortunately. There are also no family account though the idea has been suggested from time to time by people.

You could set up an account for him that you and later he could ad to as he gets older but just like anything you will have to be the policeman.

I personally think 9 is way to young to be unsupervised on a PC. It probably wouldn't take him long to click on the wrong link and have the account hijacked imo.

I'd love to see something like the 360 has where the parent sets up the account and until a certain age the wouldn't have access to certain games, videos, chat or online unless approved by the parent. It would stop a lot of the annoying kids playing MP with their mic's open.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
AlphaFox

No parental controls right now and when you accepted the terms of service you agreed that only you would use the account which means your son cannot use your account. If you wish to play these games in co-op with him, you will need to make a new account and buy all the games you wish to play on co-op for on both accounts (you and your son).

And yes, it is a pain
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Quijenoth

Thanks for the quick replies all. I have to agree 9 is a little young for alot of what steam offers hence my posting here.

I guess he will have to continue with either the Wii or playing single player games on the other PC outside of steam until I'm confindent he is old enough to have his own steam account.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
FenrirAtrum

Multiple accounts are rquired to play games with multiple people at a time, and I believe he is too young to have an account without breaking TOC
FenrirAtrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
envirovore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaco View Post
He has to play with your account, when you are not using it.
I'm not sure if this is legal in the sense of steams ToS, but no one would know.
It is stated in the ToS/EULA that sharing accounts is not allowed.

Though how they'll verify who's on the account at what time if it's connecting from the same IP address is beyond me.
envirovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Princess Garnet

In all honesty, Valve isn't going to really care (or find out) if you make him his own account, or make it your second account and let him use it. "Sharing" the account with your family is fine (I think either a Moderator or Valve employee stated this once). By sharing, I mean letting someone in-house play on it here and there, not letting your cousin/friend down the street have access to it. You're paying them when you do make another account, and they'll welcome that.

Just be responsible, and if you do do this, police him and make sure than anything "bad" that happens (anything influencing him, him losing the account, etc.) is the risk you take. Valve doesn't want you holding them responsible for it, and collecting information from those under 13 is against the law in the U.S. (which is likely why that's in the SSA, not because they directly and strictly care). In short, be responsible, and it'd all probably be fine.
Princess Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
mouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by envirovore View Post
It is stated in the ToS/EULA that sharing accounts is not allowed.
Yes, which is bull in case of family pcs. What, people cannot allow their kids to play games on their pc due to Steam?

Thankfully, Valve employees reportedly said they do not pursue family household account sharing. It would be insane if they did, anyway.
mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
kara_bulut

You can put your Steam account into offline mode and have it open on two computers.
But you won't be able to play multi player games.
Altho you can use LAN to play coop but that would depend on your game.
kara_bulut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 AM   #12
simonjames1975

My nephews play games on my Steam library list when they come over, they obviously know my user name but not my passwords. They can't login to my account where ever and when ever they please, so technically I'm not sharing my account.

I'm pretty confident that if I had children of my own and they had access to my account, then Steam would be fine with that. Like everything else, as long as you educate them and can trust them, then there's no reason not to share account with family members in the household.

I'm just wondering, can you set up a Windows user account that allows access to Steam but disallows access to individual titles in your library ?

Edit: There's also games on Steam that carry a Family tag, so Steam expect them to be played by the whole family don't they ?

Last edited by simonjames1975: 01-31-2011 at 04:43 AM.
simonjames1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #13
eydeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara_bulut View Post
You can put your Steam account into offline mode and have it open on two computers.
But you won't be able to play multi player games.
Altho you can use LAN to play coop but that would depend on your game.
You can play any multiplayer game that doesn't use steam(works) in offline mode, like DOOM3 for example. Just try it. Of course you still need 2 CD keys for most games to let 2 people play at the same time.
eydeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjames1975 View Post
I'm just wondering, can you set up a Windows user account that allows access to Steam but disallows access to individual titles in your library ?
Not that I'm aware. Steam doesn't want sharing to occur at all period, though as was said they aren't gong after family members in their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjames1975 View Post
Edit: There's also games on Steam that carry a Family tag, so Steam expect them to be played by the whole family don't they ?
They expect you to buy a licence for everyone that is going to play. Their store, their rules.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
piggys

My son is 8, he has his own account. I limit his friends to his cousin and myself. He plays next to me so I can monitor what he is doing. People blame video games when kids do something wrong. Its not the games, its the lack of parenting.
piggys is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion