Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Anno series

Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
nightside187

3rd-party DRM: TAGES™ 3 machine activation limit

Any 1 holding because of this ?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
kbe2k9

TAGES is probably the worse, well besides Ubi's online crap but even Ubi has smartened up I hear they're removing their DRM.
kbe2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
DavidA

Yep. Think they'd learn by now. Since the 80s there has never been a form of copy protection that has stopped pirates. Instead it only ends up being a nuisance for honest customers.
DavidA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Void(null)

Just say no to TAGES.
Void(null) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Red_Lizard2

I'm more waiting until they patch the game to the current version to buy it (at least from what I've read it still is a patch behind?)
Red_Lizard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
jhorto1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightside187 View Post
Any 1 holding because of this ?
I look at this game every time it goes on sale to see if they've removed the TAGES DRM.
From what I hear, it's a fantastic game and right up my alley.

I'd have bought this game at launch if not for the DRM.
jhorto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
bassaroo

DRM gone?

I have been reading reviews on Amazon and people are saying that patch 1.1 got rid of the DRM. Can anyone confirm this? Is it unrelated to the steam version?
bassaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
chrisdglong

Banned
Funny, I was looking at this game not expecting any DRM. Then, I look under the Meta score and BAM! Activation limits! That is a money saver right there. NO SALE!

BTW, I make my firm stance by experience with this sort of DRM. I have already had to call UBI once and EA twice to get more activations. This costs me money because the calls generally take at least a half hour.

Last edited by chrisdglong: 12-31-2010 at 10:58 AM.
chrisdglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
TheInsaneDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdglong View Post
Funny, I was looking at this game not expecting any DRM. Then, I look under the Meta score and BAM! Activation limits! That is a money saver right there. NO SALE!

BTW, I make my firm stance by experience with this sort of DRM. I have already had to call UBI once and EA twice to get more activations. This costs me money because the calls generally take at least a half hour.
Apparently you can get an additional activation via Tages once every month.

Do people own more than 3 computers these days or something? I must be behind the times.

Last edited by TheInsaneDump: 12-31-2010 at 11:19 AM.
TheInsaneDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Ron_Jrmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInsaneDump View Post
I must be behind the times.
Activations aren't the only problem. Tages doesn't always work the way it should. On my machine it asks me to insert the Anno 1404 DVD everytime I try to launch it. That kind of makes the activations a little less relevant...
Ron_Jrmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
TheInsaneDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Jrmy View Post
Activations aren't the only problem. Tages doesn't always work the way it should. On my machine it asks me to insert the Anno 1404 DVD everytime I try to launch it. That kind of makes the activations a little less relevant...
Yep, I saw your post in the other thread, as well as the post you made back in February.

When is the last time you tried to play it? Also, have you attempted a fresh install of the game since that time? Perhaps it was not properly activated when the game was first installed. I do not know.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=255451
This thread might also prove helpful. It's a similar problem players were having with TAGES in X3: Terran Conflict. An Egosoft dev mentions Anno 1404 as well.

Have you also tried contacting TAGES support?

Go here. Click "Contact Us" at the top.

Hope this might help.

Last edited by TheInsaneDump: 12-31-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
chrisdglong

Banned
Quote:
Apparently you can get an additional activation via Tages once every month.

Do people own more than 3 computers these days or something? I must be behind the times.
If it resets that is fine. If not, then you are blindly jumping into a situation you will regret. Do you make any upgrades? Do you ever have HDD's die? Do you ever have a motherboard die? Do you ever upgrade your Windows? Say, from Vista to 7? All these things will cause you to lose an activation. Once those three are gone, you have to rely on the good faith of the company. I have had 3 games run out of activations so far and one getting close. All three times the company has reset the activation limit, which is great. However, eventually they will stop doing so. I don't like playing 'games' (not literally) with my money. I earn it and want at least a sense of ownership when I buy something.

I fully support anti-pirate efforts, I am fully against anti-consumer efforts.

Last edited by chrisdglong: 12-31-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
TheInsaneDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdglong View Post
If it resets that is fine. If not, then you are blindly jumping into a situation you will regret. Do you make any upgrades? Do you ever have HDD's die? Do you ever have a motherboard die? Do you ever upgrade your Windows? Say, from Vista to 7? All these things will cause you to lose an activation. Once those three are gone, you have to rely on the good faith of the company. I have had 3 games run out of activations so far and one getting close. All three times the company has reset the activation limit, which is great. However, eventually they will stop doing so. I don't like playing games with my money. I earn it and want at least a sense of ownership when I buy something.
Yep, I've been there. There was a period where I had a string of bad luck with foul hardware and consistent wipeage and resetting of my computer. Thankfully, they do reset the activations, and I don't think they stop providing activations if there is reasonable cause.

I think it'll be okay.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Miniver

Bull , it's not okay. Steam is more than enough DRM. At least I only have to worry about losing my game if Valve shuts down. Now I have to worry about it if Ubisoft shuts down, too?

And don't give me that crap about how they'll just unlock the games prior to shutting down. I don't have any guarantee that they'll do that, and if they're shutting down anyway, then they have no incentive to take the trouble to do so. I'm not so stupidly trusting.

No sale.
Miniver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
chrisdglong

Banned
Quote:
Yep, I've been there. There was a period where I had a string of bad luck with foul hardware and consistent wipeage and resetting of my computer. Thankfully, they do reset the activations, and I don't think they stop providing activations if there is reasonable cause.

I think it'll be okay.
Remember, some publishers are better about resetting than others. EA and UBI are easy to deal with. I have dealt with both in the past. I have not dealt with any others though, but can't imagine Rockstar or some of the less reliable ones would be easy to deal with. EA got sued over Spore, which makes sense that they are now a lot less strict with these activations.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Anno series