Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Vikkturr

Steam games into .exe files?

Is there a way to make the steam games that you download into an executable file on your computer?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
damaged

I'm not entirely sure my answer is appropriate, your post is a bit confusing.

I suppose one could use winzip to zip the contents of a games directory into a self-extracting archive executable.
damaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Vikkturr

Well when I look at the files, they are not (for example; MysteriesOfTheSith.exe) executable files, they are links to the steam online library. The reason why I am asking this is because my friend and I would like to find a way how to host a Mysteries of the Sith game, but Game Ranger (the program that we are using) needs an executable file to be able to run a host.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
01philip01

shortcuts?
01philip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Vikkturr

The shortcut properties give me a url link; steam://rungameid/32390
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikkturr View Post
Well when I look at the files, they are not (for example; MysteriesOfTheSith.exe) executable files, they are links to the steam online library. The reason why I am asking this is because my friend and I would like to find a way how to host a Mysteries of the Sith game, but Game Ranger (the program that we are using) needs an executable file to be able to run a host.
You're looking at Steam shortcuts which differ from normal windows shortcuts in that they reference Steam and run the game using its appid, the exes would be in {drive}:\Program Files*\Steam\steamapps\common\{gamename}\.

The executables may not work for your friend if he's using retail, unless he has the Steam and the steam library in the working path and all that I think.

Last edited by damaged: 12-29-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
Vikkturr

Ya both of us got the games from steam itself. We just need this program, Game Ranger, to be able to recognize steam games as .exe files so that we can host some MOTS multilayer games.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikkturr View Post
Ya both of us got the games from steam itself. We just need this program, Game Ranger, to be able to recognize steam games as .exe files so that we can host some MOTS multilayer games.
Steam games use exe files just like retail, I'm not sure why you think otherwise. Just go into the game's directory and you'll see them.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips