Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Angstrom11

Anyone else having credit card rejection problems?

Steam is saying that my credit card company is rejecting the purchases, and I've tried several different ones. I called american express and they said that they weren't even seeing my attempts to purchase anything, and the credit card was fine. So the problem is with steam. I've used the same card before without issue. Anyone else having similar problems?

I sent in a ticket yesterday but i doubt they'll get back to me before the sale of borderlands ends. Maybe they'll honor the sale price since I've been trying to buy it since last night.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
i_2_i

Banned
contact steam support...
i_2_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Neverman

I've only had this problem when I was short on cash in my credit card.
Did you actually check how much money do you have in there ?
Neverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
SKiLLY2

Ugh... That blows man. I'm about to buy something with a CC in a second here. I'll bump this thread and let you know what happens.

Are you able to add funds to your steam wallet? You could try that as an alternative.
SKiLLY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Siscoth

I am not able to add money with instant transfer. One of my cc was a prepaid one and there's like 2 dollars left but now I can't remove it. Still says pending although the money was taken .
Siscoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Ahmmork

Not currently no, but my steam wallet ain't working...
Old 12-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
SKiLLY2

Well, I just bought a couple of games. No issues I'm sorry to tell you.

However, back in October or so, I was trying to buy Mass Effect 2 and repeatedly received the "your credit card company has declined your card" or whatever the e-mail is.

I contacted support and told them the name of the bank and maybe which country I was situated in. They said they'd contact the bank to find out and after a couple of days, they tell me that it was some issue with Canadian visas.

I didn't receive another e-mail until something like 2 weeks or a month afterwards saying "your visa should now work." which I guess it does.

EDIT:

Interestingly I just realized I did not receive a "thank you for your purchase" e-mail. The games are still in my library, even after restarting steam but I have a bad feeling they will disappear soon like others have been reporting.

I just hope, if that does happen, support can get the games back on the account and not just refund the money to buy the games again, which would be useless when the games will no longer be on sale for the price they are at today.

Last edited by SKiLLY2: 12-25-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
jdun

Steam is having a lot of credit card issue from the constant flow of threads here. I wasn't able to to buy gifts for my friends until support resolve the problem.

It wasn't my credit card because I called the CC to find out if there were any problems and they stated they had none. It was at Valve end that was causing the trouble.
jdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
manicminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiLLY2 View Post
Interestingly I just realized I did not receive a "thank you for your purchase" e-mail. The games are still in my library, even after restarting steam but I have a bad feeling they will disappear soon like others have been reporting.
Aye, no email receipt for me either. See what happens..

Edit: Though I did take a printed copy.

Last edited by manicminer: 12-25-2010 at 01:11 PM.
manicminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
SKiLLY2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicminer View Post
Aye, no email receipt for me either. See what happens..

Edit: Though I did take a printed copy.
I just received the e-mail now lol, about an hour after my purchase.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
Alibabba

Yes, I've tried three different cards now, both within the client and on the web, and I get either "your credit card has been declined" or "there has been an internal error". All three cards are legitimate and have been used within 24 hours.

I've never had to try this hard to give someone money. Merry Christmas to you too, Valve.
Alibabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
01philip01

lol, i got a negative balance on my prepaid from steam.
i had 4.44 yesterday now 15 negative.
01philip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #13

I've been trying to gift Dragon quest origins all day long, no luck :S doubt steam will reply in time. After all, it is X-Mas.
182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #14
billybeer

I had the same problem a few days ago.

purchased mass effect 2 gifted to my brother, no problem. try to gift mass effect 1 less than 3 minutes later, says cc company declined it (tried a few more times over the next 6hrs).

contacted cc company, no problems with them (like everyone else here). contact steam support (what a joke!), they say "Our records indicate that your purchase was declined due to your current IP address differing from your billing information."

uhhh yeah, that makes sense (static IP, purchase from one location only)

after a bit of back and forth, "I have adjusted a setting on your account. Please try your purchase again."*

*tech support speak for "I went back to playing WoW and hopefully the problem fixes itself"

in the end, I couldn't make any purchases until this morning, so they lost out on quite a few more purchases from me.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
BOTNET

Tried to buy the s.t.a.l.k.e.r. games today because I got some pre-paid debit cards for christmas, one visa and one american express. I tried both and they are both being rejected. I checked the status of both of them and they are active. I want to buy these games before the sales end ffs

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips