Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Devil May Cry series

Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
MooglesRcute

Why does nero look so much like Dante?

I'm new to the series, i was just wonder if there was a reason that nero looked so much like dante?

I mean a new character, you think they'd try to make him look more unique? But maybe im missing something in the lore?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
SaintOfNothing

I think nero was an excuse to have that guy from bleach in the game. But i do like Nero's combat so much better.
SaintOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Asuterisuku

Actually, the lore, and a lot of the in-game dialogue implies that Nero is a descendant of Sparda, just as Dante is. Since we know Dante at the moment to be childless, and we also know surprisingly little about his twin brother Vergil, I believe it is safe to assume that Nero is Vergil's son.
This is supported by both Nero's fighting style - which is almost exactly like Vergil's from the PC version of DMC3- and the fact that
SPOILER

Nero was able to reforge Vergil's blade, Yamato.

/SPOILER
Asuterisuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
MooglesRcute

ahhh very interesting! Thanks for the info =D
MooglesRcute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Brain_Explodes

You see... Japanese have this thing... with pretty guys with emo white hair.

But, yes. Nero is speculated to be related to Vergil, possibly his son.
Brain_Explodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
rugalck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuterisuku View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler:
Nero was able to reforge Vergil's blade, Yamato.
Spoiler
Spoiler:
Indeed, if you think about that a little, the demon that comes out from Yamato, looks A LOT like Nelo Angelo (who we know is Vergil being controlled by darkness in DMC1). Also Nero... maybe Nelo... Angelo, dunno, Nero/Nelo...

I really do think that this demon IS indeed Vergil's soul inside Yamato.

Just to think about it.

Last edited by rugalck: 12-24-2010 at 11:43 PM.
rugalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
Draek

Well, yeah, in-universe the reason is because Nero is related to Dante, likely through his brother Vergil.

In the real world, however, the reason is that a lot of fans complained (loudly) when it was revealed Dante wouldn't be the protagonist of DMC4 and we'd get a new guy in his stead, which is why they made him so freakin' similar *and* why we had to put up with the "now do the same as Dante!" middle section of the game.
Draek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
GSH

Enjoy

http://comicvania.com/2011/01/dante-vs-nero/
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #9
gamecholic

From the cut-scene when Nero receives Devil Trigger I concluded he was some random devil hunter and the adrift soul of Vergil found a way to Nero, particularly inside the right arm, so no blood relation like he is Vergil's son and whatnot. Because in the cut-scene, there is this part: The screen is all black, no vision but sounds where you hear a sword dropping to the ground and Kyrie gasping with fear and Nero screaming her name in agony. What I get from there is during a fight when Nero was still a newbie he fails to protect Kyrie and wishes for more power just like Vergil did to atone for his failure to protect his mother. Therefore Vergil's soul finds Nero and lends Nero his powers with a side effect on the arm. Now later on in the cut-scene, awakened Nero says: "From that day forth, my arm changed(that means arm was not demonic before that event). A voice echoed(I assume this is Vergil's voice resonating with Nero's). Power, give me more power. If I become a demon(hints that Nero was a regular human but explained by Vergil during the communication with Vergil's soul that demonic powers are involved), so be it. I'll endure the exile. Anything to protect her(just like Vergil's wish to protect). And with Yamato around on the brink of failure again, Vergil's soul inside the arm awakens a little more: Resurrecting the sword and granting Nero the devil trigger which is practicaly Vergil's soul floating over Nero and doing what Nero does most of the time.
More proof is that during one of the first cut-scenes Kyrie says to Nero: "Your arm still hasn't recovered" hinting that the event when Nero became a half-demon was close when you think with a little common sense.

At least that's what I think.
For the OP: So he doesn't look like Dante but Vergil to be precise, but since they are twins... hell what's the difference? Besides I think the similarity in looks is coincidental or something like Rugalck said.

Last edited by gamecholic: 05-01-2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Correction of grammar mistakes.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Asuterisuku

Ah, but you're forgetting that the arm, even before that cutscene, looked exactly like the spirit seen in the Devil Trigger, just more tangible/solid. Perhaps the shoulder wound - mentioned by Kyrie and by the the prologue in the instruction manual - simply allowed the demon that was already there to manifest itself in a more noticeable way than just white hair.
Asuterisuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
SuperCake

Nero is NOT Vergil's son. I don't care what people assume or that they get their "info" from some Japanese novel, it's not true. Not only is it stupid, but it would totally ruin Vergil's character.

Can you really see him having a kid? He was obbsessed with power for a long time since he was a child, trys hard for that power, then he gets corrupted when he trys to fight Mundus, becomes his minion and then gets killed by Dante. Where/how does a sudden interest in woman and babies fit in there? gamecholic's theory is more convincing than "Nero is Vergil's son".

And, the devoloper of DMC4 (forget his name) had said once in an interview that he made Nero look like Dante so players can be more "comfortable" with Nero because he had white hair and a red coat (like Dante). He also said that Nero wasn't related to Dante/Vergil/Sparda, just looks like them because its supposed to be a "DMC" game. Just look at all the backlash at DMC5 because the main character in it doesn't look like Dante, yet everyone is fine with Nero because he does? I rest my case.
SuperCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #12
Allsaints

Even if there's a reason for them to look similar, I kinda wish Nero was more distinct physically, even though he plays differently.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
Me2nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCake View Post
Nero is NOT Vergil's son. I don't care what people assume or that they get their "info" from some Japanese novel, it's not true. Not only is it stupid, but it would totally ruin Vergil's character.

Can you really see him having a kid? He was obbsessed with power for a long time since he was a child, trys hard for that power, then he gets corrupted when he trys to fight Mundus, becomes his minion and then gets killed by Dante. Where/how does a sudden interest in woman and babies fit in there? gamecholic's theory is more convincing than "Nero is Vergil's son".

And, the devoloper of DMC4 (forget his name) had said once in an interview that he made Nero look like Dante so players can be more "comfortable" with Nero because he had white hair and a red coat (like Dante). He also said that Nero wasn't related to Dante/Vergil/Sparda, just looks like them because its supposed to be a "DMC" game. Just look at all the backlash at DMC5 because the main character in it doesn't look like Dante, yet everyone is fine with Nero because he does? I rest my case.
It was also said by the developers that Nero has some relation to Dante and Vergil, and that the game would leave hints to allude to it.

I personally believe Nero's demon arm is possessed by Vergil's spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuterisuku View Post
Actually, the lore, and a lot of the in-game dialogue implies that Nero is a descendant of Sparda, just as Dante is. Since we know Dante at the moment to be childless, and we also know surprisingly little about his twin brother Vergil, I believe it is safe to assume that Nero is Vergil's son.
This is supported by both Nero's fighting style - which is almost exactly like Vergil's from the PC version of DMC3
I may not have played with Vergil on Devil May Cry 3: Special edition on the PC (but I have on the PS2), I know for certain that Nero's style is nothing like Vergil's fighting style (except for when Nero enter Devil trigger mode, but even then, it's a mixture of Nero's style and and Vergil's style and not exclusively Vergil's).

Last edited by Me2nice: 05-25-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Me2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
Scared

We will never know now since Capcom had the brilliant idea to scrap everything and go with a horrible emo/drug-o/smoking/meth-head dante in a reboot.
Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
El Robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCake View Post

Can you really see him having a kid?
Can I see him having sex with a woman? Yes. Can I see him having faint traces of human feelings but not wanting to fully connect with her and their child? Absolutely.

In Mission 7 Vergil says to Dante, "Without power you cannot protect anything. Not even yourself."

What would Vergil want to protect? He doesn't say "conquer" or "defeat" or "be free of." He says "protect." And he couldn't have been talking about Dante, all he had then was a crappy hole-in-the-wall office, his sword and a pair of pistols. Dante hadn't come there to protect something, he just wanted to play/fight.

The "some Japanese novel" was written by Bingo Morihashi who wrote DMC3, much of the 2007 anime, and DMC4. Morihashi was the one who freaking conceived the DMC3 version of Vergil which has become the definitive one. In it, he depicts Vergil dropping off baby Nero somewhere in Fortuna and apparently hinting that the mother was dead. Wouldn't it be tragic if the cold and driven Vergil had been distracted in his quest for power by a woman he felt drawn to, but ultimately lost? After fathering a child with her perhaps his frozen heart started to melt a little. Maybe he even began to think of something besides getting revenge against Mundus. Then just as he dropped his guard she was cut down by a demon just like his mother was. And maybe he was once again not powerful enough to protect her?

What do you think that would have done to him?

The above scenario doesn't make him less like Vergil, it turns him into Vergil-plus. Not motivated just by power lust and grief over his mother, but over his dead lady friend, and (un admitted) concern for his son? Someone who would do anything to gain the full power of Sparda in order to flatten Mundus once and for all, even if it meant risking the rest of the Earth to do so.

Vergil having a son is no more unlikely than Vegeta from Dragon Ball having one. And he did.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Devil May Cry series