Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #16
alexrdh

pff, even if I have myself in the Beta Update, it still says Steam beta must be running.
i've even checked for steam client updates, and it says its up-to-date. there is absolutely no way I am ever going to reinstall steam and all its games... that'll be around 50 gigs, and i'm Australian and i got internet caps, 25 gig per month. guess i'll have to put some IP's of some servers into a .txt file and connect to servers from the console.

edit: on the steam window, at the top click on 'view', then the servers option. choose a game, launch dod/css/tf2, copy one of the ip's, (use ctrl+c, steam usually cancels the selection) open/enable developer console (Options, Keyboard/Mouse, Advanced, enable dev console) then use;
connect pasteiphere
I was just playing DOD using that method.

Last edited by alexrdh: 08-02-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #17
Xtremer

Like I said before, reinstalling Steam does not mean you have to redownload your games. Your games are stored in a separate system folder than your Applications/Steam.app.
Xtremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #18
razorman57

This Happened to me too, but now i cant even launch a game. I press play, it prepares, and then the box just goes away. no error message, no anything. happened with TF2, CS:S and DoD:S. Should i reinstall steam?
razorman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
alexrdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorman57 View Post
This Happened to me too, but now i cant even launch a game. I press play, it prepares, and then the box just goes away. no error message, no anything. happened with TF2, CS:S and DoD:S. Should i reinstall steam?
Have you tried restarting your computer?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #20
jeremyclarke

This issue has now existed for almost two weeks. This is a punch in the face to paying mac users and Valve should be DEEPLY embarassed at how much they have messed up this update.

I had this issue upon turning on TF2 after letting the auto-update run. There was no beta available, and that 'solution' is absolutely unnacceptable anyway.

Updating steam by going to the Steam app menu (next to apple icon in system menu when steam is in focus) and choosing "Check for updates" solved the problem. Steam updated and now TF2 is working.

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIXED. I haven't opened Steam for awhile so this is the first I see of it, but people in my situation should find that steam fixes itself by now.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
busta5000

Red face steam beta

I hope this does fix it but its still in beta mode that means there are still other stuff that aren't fixed yet.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #22
nickiewoo

Ok guys i fixed that problem yesterday here is how.

1. Quit Steam and make sure its off with "Activity monitor"
2. Find the Steam.app in Applications folder Steam/contents/Macos/osx32/

Doubleclick on the file called "Steamclean" then "Steam" and now start and play CS:S It worked for me. Good luck !

Last edited by nickiewoo: 08-24-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #23
Dan0

I have tried everything and I still get this stupid message.
Fix it please.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #24
thinkbrad

I have tried every single fix listed in this thread, all of them together and different combonations. (Restarting my comp, updating, reinstalling, steamcleaning, joining the beta, and i still ahve this problem).

Still i have the problem, but i cannot even connect to servers manually, i get a message that says "You must be on steam to connect to this server".

This is on CSS, i don't play anything else really.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #25
lenny_b

I tried everything from this Thread but still i get the message STEAM BETA must be running..

This totally sucks, sorry VALVE, i paid 4.99 for a game that i cant use and im sure if i get in some days left4dead which was the only thing i'm looking for the last months, will have the same problem in multiplayer!

Please get this bug fixed and steam working!!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #26
Zyndrome

It's kind of annoying that I have to restart Steam every time I want to play TF2, and if I quit or crash from it. But then another problem arises when ingame: I get tons of servers on first serverlisting, but if I refresh servers again at any time ... there is no results, or just 3-4 servers at best showing up. Not even favorites show, friends, etc. And people wonder why I don't play TF2 much...
Zyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #27
Archaic_15

i found when this happened that i quit the application, restart steam and then i waited for the achievement panel to show up and then clicked play and it would work. Because i found if you click play before all the panels have loaded up that error message will come up.
Archaic_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #28
adktz

I've recently had this error in TF2. I've reinstalled Steam.app, backed-up the game and reinstalled it, opted in to (and out of)the beta and nothing has worked. Any other possible fixes?

Joining through the Steam server browser gives me the error "#GameUI_ServerRequireSteam".

Last edited by adktz: 01-03-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #29
Takisawesome

i had this problem with my HL2DM. All i did was delete the old Steam.app i had and downloaded the .app again from the website, it worked and it wont show up again.
Takisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #30
CH4R3L

I still have the problem. Yesterday the TF2 Beta worked and now both show me that I have to run the Steam Beta which I already have. No updates available.

Fix this Please!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games