Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2 / Source Third-Party Mods

Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #106
CatzEyes93

gorpie dear... for the life of me I cannot get Eye of the Storm to work. Can you review your notes in post one and let me know if there needs to be a correction?

It is actually one of the mods I did work for so of course I am heartbroken I cant get it going again. =-(
CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #107
supersmashman

I seem to have this problem when starting SMOD Redux v8

Can anyone help me?
supersmashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #108
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93 View Post
gorpie dear... for the life of me I cannot get Eye of the Storm to work. Can you review your notes in post one and let me know if there needs to be a correction?

It is actually one of the mods I did work for so of course I am heartbroken I cant get it going again. =-(
For Ep2 mods, the changes to gameinfo.txt have so far worked for me. (My personal notes read: changed AppID from 420; added AdditionalContentId; changed SearchPaths.)

What problem/error are you getting?
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #109
CatzEyes93

I dont even get as far as the loading screen. I get a black screen as it tries to launch, then crash to the desktop.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #110
gorpie

Quote:
I dont even get as far as the loading screen. I get a black screen as it tries to launch, then crash to the desktop.
I hate to ask, but did you restart Steam after changing gameinfo.txt?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #111
CatzEyes93

yup. several times I rebooted steam while testing this.

I am starting to think it is my windows 7.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #112
gorpie

When did you upgrade?

What about your firewall?

I know you've run Ep2 because Dangerous World worked for you.

I'm ready to suggest making a desktop shortcut and adding a DEP exception for it. And maybe adding a firewall exception for HL2...

Try running in windowed mode? (Launch option -window, though I would assume you know. )

EDIT - I'll try it tomorrow... They did update Source SDK yesterday--maybe that's causing problems (I don't have EotS installed right now, so can't look at anything). Or maybe not.

I do know that some mods work fine for me and don't for ikar, and vice versa (he does things completely differently--bypassing auto-installers, etc.). So some problems seem to be specific to computer configurations, also. :sigh:

Last edited by gorpie: 07-14-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #113
gorpie

Quote:
I just tried again. Without any changes, it may have loaded, but after 5 minutes I was tired of waiting. (Some people, pre-update, had to wait about 10 minutes for HL2 to load the first time in Win7--after that, load times were normal.)

Try the -novid launch option? (That's actually a better suggestion than my last ones... Though you might need windowed mode, too.)

Did you upgrade to Win7 rather than do a fresh install? Some people (pre-update) had problems getting HL2 to run if they upgraded to Win7 rather than doing a clean install.

I made changes to gameinfo.txt one at a time, this time. All the gameinfo.txt changes listed for Ep2 (and shown below) were needed in order for the mod to run. (Without them I got "could not load library client" errors.)
Code:
FileSystem
     {
     SteamAppId               218
     ToolsAppId               211
     AdditionalContentId      420

SearchPaths
          {
          Game                |gameinfo_path|.
          Game                |all_source_engine_paths|sourcetest
          Game                |all_source_engine_paths|ep2
          Game                |all_source_engine_paths|episodic
          Game                |all_source_engine_paths|hl2
          }
      }
If you can get the mod to run, you will also need to extract episode two content.gcf\ep2\models, and episode two materials.gcf\ep2\materials into the mod's directory. You will either want to rename the mod's \models and \materials folders before you do this, then copy them into the freshly extracted folder (overwrite existing files).

Or an easier way may be to reinstall the mod over the existing files. Without extracting the folders, there are so many missing models and textures that the mod is spoiled. With extracting the folders, there are still missing models and textures--I don't remember how many, but enough so that a patch is needed...
Old 07-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #114
CatzEyes93

didnt know about the extract episode two content.gcf\ep2\models, and episode two materials.gcf\ep2\materials.........

I will report back what I find. Also pm sent.

EDIT:
I did the models, materials and the windowed mode and it seems to work. Wow tho... so many broken images in the game. Gonna go re-install the mod over the top of the existing to see if that helps fix the broken stuff.

EDIT EDIT: Ok well... I installed the mod over the top of the ep2 models and materials. I think the windowed mode might be what did it but at least it is working. STill... all the missing and broken stuff. What a shame!

Last edited by CatzEyes93: 07-17-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #115
gorpie

Quote:
didnt know about the extract episode two content.gcf\ep2\models, and episode two materials.gcf\ep2\materials.........

I will report back what I find. Also pm sent.

EDIT:
I did the models, materials and the windowed mode and it seems to work. Wow tho... so many broken images in the game. Gonna go re-install the mod over the top of the existing to see if that helps fix the broken stuff.

EDIT EDIT: Ok well... I installed the mod over the top of the ep2 models and materials. I think the windowed mode might be what did it but at least it is working. STill... all the missing and broken stuff. What a shame!
Glad it's working! I'm guessing windowed is probably what made it run, because I can run it without copying the models/materials. Extracting/copying those folders just means there are fewer missing models/textures.

(Like I said in the listing, I'm hoping they fix that when part 2 is released.)
Old 07-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #116
SilverMink

So.. where are we having issuse in Eye of the Storm.

I just played the whole mod without fixes, and their were no issues.

Then again i do have the the pre-update game files.

Last edited by SilverMink: 07-17-2010 at 04:11 PM.
SilverMink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #117
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMink View Post
So.. where are we having issuse in Eye of the Storm.

I just played the whole mod without fixes, and their were no issues.

Then again i do have the the pre-update game files.
I had to make all the suggested Ep2 changes to gameinfo.txt in order for it to run. When I try it again, I'll give it 10 minutes to load, and see if it will load without changes... (I would prefer to make that recommendation, actually.)

I have the pre-update game files (didn't try extracting any from my OB disk though).

As soon as I started a new game the missing models were evident. After extracting (Ep2 materials & models from the current .gcfs), many of the missing models and textures were gone, but enough were left to ruin immersion. (I don't remember where they first appeared, but before I got the melee weapon.)

I could try extracting the files from the install disk and see if that fixes things--but since I'm really low on disk space it's going to be a couple of days.

EDIT - Do you think I should put a "try the mod before any changes" statement at the beginning? I know they work differently on different systems.

Do you bypass self-installers? Do you have a custom config file?

Last edited by gorpie: 07-17-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #118
SilverMink

I got the mod from planetphillip.com, and played that's it.

.. I didn't make any changes, just extracted the folder.

Do you have all the games listed in the gameinfo.txt installed ?.

Last edited by SilverMink: 07-17-2010 at 05:10 PM.
SilverMink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #119
gorpie

I got mine from moddb...

I'll DL the one from PP and see what the difference is.

Do you want to pick another mod and see what happens?

I'm going to send you a PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 AM   #120
derrman0426

Wow Gorpie, wow!
You are doing such a great job at helping people on these forums, Valve should offer you a job in support .
derrman0426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2 / Source Third-Party Mods