Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 09-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #316
Tyrant vs Tank

Calling out DEV's especially Chet in real time doesn't work let alone calling them out on threads from a year ago about Cold Stream or the block feature.

Chet basically came out on this thread or one thread about the block feature basically saying in a nice way that he didn't want to debate about the block feature.

That alone should be enough to tell you amongst the promises with 4D1 that they don't value the opinion of the forum/social media community and cater towards the trolls and people who play on the weekends.

Last edited by Tyrant vs Tank: 09-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Tyrant vs Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #317
GuardianAngel42

Also, keep in mind that a griefer can only block you if you're in a game with him/her. If you've already blocked them, that will never happen.

Bottom line, block before they can!
GuardianAngel42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #318
max2

I have up to 200 people on my block list and glad they are out of my life. In return I get much better games.
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #319
alienbeast

Yeah ive blocked hundreds and hundreds of griefers, asshats, and people who apparently have no ability to read or write.

But its not fixing the problem, I still block a couple griefers a day.
I dont understand why we cant see a rollout of a ban system like counter strike global offensive's competitive system.

Ban people for a week for repeat offenses. That will filter out griefers quicker than anything else.

Weird scenario yesterday...
Every server i joined yesterday started lagging to 1000+ timeout. Then i got a invited to a group later on called say sorry. I banned everyone in there , and changed my name on steam and it stopped :X. Just coincidence?
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/saysorry
On top of that after looking at the guy who invited me da corkster, he was already banned and so was most of his friends.

Leading me to conclude that people really dont like me or most of these griefers are actually a group of people doing this for a specific reason.
We really need some kind of global temporary ban with increasing limits. I hate to ban someone for a day because they couldnt finish a versus match. But why are you playing if your not gonna finish anyway?
This games versus mode is slowly dieing, especially with the addition of the ad sponsored pinion servers. Im sure they make their money back off those crappy servers.But think about l4d3, this problem needs to be stopped, coldy, and bluntly.
alienbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #320
ball2hi

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbeast View Post
Weird scenario yesterday...
Every server i joined yesterday started lagging to 1000+ timeout. Then i got a invited to a group later on called say sorry. I banned everyone in there , and changed my name on steam and it stopped :X. Just coincidence?
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/saysorry
This is a common scenario in the community. It's called DOS or rather, exploiting a bug in source engine(?) and will cause the entire server to lag out. Some servers block most of the DOS IPs and I think there is a plugin to prevent it. Not sure.

If you want to avoid being DOS'd, I suggest the following steps:
1.) Make sure you aren't apart of any groups that have less than 150 players. If you are, make sure they aren't public (Anyone can join by just clicking join.). This allows them to join the group and view game info on you.
2.) Block them, they can't see when you're online I believe.
3.) Only play on servers that are actively IP banning DOS
4.) Don't be intimidated by DOS threats. Most aren't as knowledgeable as they act.

The block feature is great to block griefers, shooting team mates, suiciding, music spam. It's just abused too much by people thinking everyone better than them is a hacker.
ball2hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #321
CosmicD

I'm gonna blatantly spam the article I wrote on my blog about this, which I mailed to Valve and from which I didn't get an answer.

It's true that the block list will certainly aid but there's 2 problems with this. 1. it's ONLY in l4d2, left 4 dead 1 has some of the worst griefers I know who are still griefing for a year. And second, it's not really punishing the griefers.

Earlier this year I thought that eventually they might meet the shortcomings of the moral mistakes they make in game but now I have to say really, does it have to take a more than a YEAR for all griefers to be noticing any penalty for what hey do ?

Valve should drag the worst ones with their ears right out of steam. This is my stance now. They don't learn because they are always rewarded griefing group after group in unmanned servers.

I am THIS close to make my banlist public for everyone to see and the irony would be that I Get banned from the forums for doing so while the griefers just go on doing their sick game.
CosmicD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #322
P33N0R

Is it possible to completely block IP-adresses from a country to connect to your game/lobby and vice versa?I was thinking about Russian players.
P33N0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #323
Phaseshifter

Quote:
For the friends stat mentioned earlier. If you play with just one other friend you almost double the chances of having a complete game of versus. For every friend added in the game after that the percentage goes up. Out of all the stats we look at - score, experience, etc, this is the one stat that universally has the most significant impact.
Just want to add to that that, for each friend you add, the odds of not being able to play with them on a server increases, as each of them may have been blocked by different butthurt players that are in that game/lobby. (I go out of my way to help new players and I still get blocked by random people)

Also, the community will bash you for playing with people you know. For some reason.
Phaseshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #324
CosmicD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaseshifter View Post
Also, the community will bash you for playing with people you know. For some reason.
You mean the same people that are going to cry about you using t2 in versus and then using it themself or never play roto or confogl ? Their credibility drops below zero because of that already.
CosmicD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #325
Phaseshifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicD View Post
You mean the same people that are going to cry about you using t2 in versus and then using it themself or never play roto or confogl ? Their credibility drops below zero because of that already.
What are you talking about? The pubs or the friends?
Phaseshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #326
ball2hi

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicD View Post
Their credibility drops to below zero because of them using T2 when they feel T2 shouldn't be in competitive?

I think your credibility just dropped to zero, because I don't think I know a single person who complains that doesn't play competitive configs. If there are ones that do complain about T2, I don't think it's fair to say to lump them in with actual confogl players.

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed but T2 is forced on most maps from Saferoom after... what Map 2? I guess we should use our secondaries the rest of the maps then eh?

Why should anyone care about your banlist by the way? What makes you such an emblem that justifies everyone's ability to play. If I join XPM servers, I shoot my team mates/suicide because I dislike those servers and do it till I get banned so I can no longer accidentally join those servers during down time. I know many others that do just that. Does that make us all griefers and we shouldn't be allowed to play any games anymore?

Last edited by ball2hi: 12-01-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #327
Genoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball2hi View Post
Their credibility drops to below zero because of them using T2 when they feel T2 shouldn't be in competitive?

I think your credibility just dropped to zero, because I don't think I know a single person who complains that doesn't play competitive configs. If there are ones that do complain about T2, I don't think it's fair to say to lump them in with actual confogl players.

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed but T2 is forced on most maps from Saferoom after... what Map 2? I guess we should use our secondaries the rest of the maps then eh?

Why should anyone care about your banlist by the way? What makes you such an emblem that justifies everyone's ability to play. If I join XPM servers, I shoot my team mates/suicide because I dislike those servers and do it till I get banned so I can no longer accidentally join those servers during down time. I know many others that do just that. Does that make us all griefers and we shouldn't be allowed to play any games anymore?
Not sure how most people would handle it, but have you ever tried requesting a banning when you join these servers ?
Genoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #328
ball2hi

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
Not sure how most people would handle it, but have you ever tried requesting a banning when you join these servers ?
I did actually, multiple times. They would respond in some snark text/voice saying: "Learn how to pick servers!". I guess it's my fault for quick matching and no way to prevent myself from joining those servers; if I want to avoid them I'll have to use openserverbrowser according to their logic.

Obviously in the end, I got what I needed in being banned from those servers and also added the remainder to Windows Firewall.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #329
dawkins154

Hmm, I think griefers are pretty lame. I would agree that there should be a penalty for doing it. Seems to me like this ball2hi guy should have been banned a long time ago with his attitude. Just because you don't like their servers doesn't mean you are allowed to grief them.
dawkins154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #330
ball2hi

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins154 View Post
Hmm, I think griefers are pretty lame. I would agree that there should be a penalty for doing it. Seems to me like this ball2hi guy should have been banned a long time ago with his attitude. Just because you don't like their servers doesn't mean you are allowed to grief them.
Never said I was allowed to grief them. It was the only alternative at the time when they refused to ban me through me asking nicely. Obviously now I don't need to do any of that because I can just block all their IPs using Windows Firewall; don't need to get banned now.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2