Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Killing Floor

Old 07-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
fmscorreia

Can't open game after creating dedicated server

I've never had this problem before. Yesterday, like I always do when I want to play with friends, I started KF, selected Host Game on the menu, and launched a Dedicated Server. The server console would come up as usual, but now whenever I try to open the game it gives me the "This game is currently unavailable (Application is already running)" message.
Now, I'm sure someone is bound to step right up and yell at me for running both the dedicated server and the client on the same computer. That is not the problem, the problem is that just 2 days ago it worked, and since yesterday the situation I described above started occurring. Running a listen server is not an option for me, I've tried that already and the game had horrible performance (low framerates, etc).
Anyone have a similar situation? This is really jarateing me off.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
AnorexicWhale

Yup, I just had the same exact problem. Psssh, and why would someone yell at you for running them at the same time? I do that all the time, and my friend never has any lag. Anyway, mine started having this problem after the most recent update. I will mess around a bit with some settings when I'm not as tired and see if I can come up with something. I'm wondering if there's a way to run a dedicated server without running it through Steam? Not quite sure. Any help would be appreciated.
AnorexicWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
fmscorreia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicWhale View Post
Yup, I just had the same exact problem. Psssh, and why would someone yell at you for running them at the same time? I do that all the time, and my friend never has any lag. Anyway, mine started having this problem after the most recent update. I will mess around a bit with some settings when I'm not as tired and see if I can come up with something. I'm wondering if there's a way to run a dedicated server without running it through Steam? Not quite sure. Any help would be appreciated.
you can download the killing floor beta dedicated server through Steam, on the tools library. but then you'd be running it through steam aswell I suppose... I've read that you can also get a KF server up and running through the hldsupdatetool, so I guess later tonight I'll be checking that out.
meanwhile I've tried the usual procedures... reinstalled KF, deleted ClientRegistry.blob, but none of that worked. hopefully they'll fix this with the next update before any of us has to get their hands dirty.
fmscorreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
daflipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmscorreia View Post
you can download the killing floor beta dedicated server through Steam, on the tools library. but then you'd be running it through steam aswell I suppose... I've read that you can also get a KF server up and running through the hldsupdatetool, so I guess later tonight I'll be checking that out.
meanwhile I've tried the usual procedures... reinstalled KF, deleted ClientRegistry.blob, but none of that worked. hopefully they'll fix this with the next update before any of us has to get their hands dirty.
Might want to check this out
daflipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
fmscorreia

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflipp View Post
Might want to check this out
hmm, I had no clue about this. I assumed it was some issue with the steam platform, or something in the last update that caused the problem. anyways, the situation is clear now, thanks for the help
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
tiotuli

Exacly the same thing here.

There's a workaround for this. Create the Dedicated server (from 'Host Game' option in the game), wait until it loads completely, then ctrl+alt+del and kill the Steam.exe process. Open Steam again and go play Killing Floor as you normally would. The server will not be affected by this and should be running normally. This will do the trick while we wait for an update/fix.

See ya.
tiotuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
fmscorreia

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiotuli View Post
Exacly the same thing here.

There's a workaround for this. Create the Dedicated server (from 'Host Game' option in the game), wait until it loads completely, then ctrl+alt+del and kill the Steam.exe process. Open Steam again and go play Killing Floor as you normally would. The server will not be affected by this and should be running normally. This will do the trick while we wait for an update/fix.

See ya.
damn, I must be a to not have thought about that before. A friend of mine got ahead of me and tried using steamCMD (see daflipp's link), but unfortunately it seems you can't run both steam and steamCMD due to them being instances of the same process (at least he told me so). so I'll try this later tonight, thanks for the advice

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Killing Floor