Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #241
Falren

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricned View Post
I followed all the steps here and I still can't play the game.

Upon launching in steam it goes to a screen like this: http://imgur.com/qlyWe

After about a minute it returns to my desktop. No error is given.

Anyone have any idea how to fix the issue?

edit: Tried turning off compatibility mode. When this happens the game runs, but after a few seconds it will return to Desktop without displaying an error. By skipping all the intros I can get to the main menu but it will shut down before a new game is started.
Thats exactly whats been happening to me. I did a fresh install, did everything that people have suggested and what you described and have shown with the picture happens to me as well.
Falren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #242
Wesp5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falren View Post
Thats exactly whats been happening to me. I did a fresh install, did everything that people have suggested and what you described and have shown with the picture happens to me as well.
Just to summarize, you have done all the following?

On problems with Steam run Steam and game as administrator, then the unpatched game once, switch to offline mode, disable steam community and automatic update before installing to \steamapps\common\vampire - the masquerade...
Wesp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #243
Falren

Yes, I have done everything listed and result in the problem quoted above.
Falren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #244
ManjimaruFIN

Quote:

Step 1: You MUST run Steam as an administrator AND set the Vampire.exe to run as an admin as well. You should also be launching the game from Steam.
How exactly do I run VTMB as administrator from inside steam? I dont see an option for it..

edit: not a problem as such since I got the game working after installing the patch.

Last edited by ManjimaruFIN: 05-04-2012 at 04:16 AM.
ManjimaruFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #245
KingMP

Hmm. I really want to buy this game, but this thread worries me.
KingMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #246
Patrick032986

Unfortunately the patch site does not load anymore is there another link I could get the patch from?
Patrick032986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #247
DarkByke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMP View Post
Hmm. I really want to buy this game, but this thread worries me.
Well, you can almost always expect running into problems when you are playing old games designed for older PC's... That can happen for any game.

These are honestly quick fixes and not a big deal. Get the game if you like old RPG's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManjimaruFIN View Post
How exactly do I run VTMB as administrator from inside steam? I dont see an option for it..

edit: not a problem as such since I got the game working after installing the patch.
These are separate tasks. Right click on the exe file for Vampire in windows explorer to set admin rights and also right click on Steam exe and set to admin as well.

Last edited by DarkByke: 05-12-2012 at 11:25 PM.
DarkByke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #248
FIR3arms

I don't really want to go through all 17 pages so, I have everything set up perfectly. I was able to successfully run it and played til I finished the Beach House Mission. Then quit to watch Buffy, then I come back and it will play the Activision/Nvidia/etc logos, but when it is supposed to go to the main menus, it crashes. Any ideas?

(Both Steam and VTMB are set to run as admin, and I make sure to set it up to not keep it up to date, disabled Steam in Game community etc.)
FIR3arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #249
limegonk

I only recently registered to this forum, but I used this topic a while back to get Vampire running. I just wanted to say thank you very much to all involved in this topic and in getting the game to work on modern machines.
limegonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #250
DarkByke

Quote:
Originally Posted by limegonk View Post
I only recently registered to this forum, but I used this topic a while back to get Vampire running. I just wanted to say thank you very much to all involved in this topic and in getting the game to work on modern machines.
Gaming sure has advanced in a few short years hasn't it!?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #251
jimdove

devolved i would say. Vampire makes every game made in the last 5 years look like a mindless mobile game in comparison, esp with the unnofficial patch which sorts out lots of bugs and things.
jimdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #252
limegonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkByke View Post
Gaming sure has advanced in a few short years hasn't it!?
It says a lot for how unfinished Vampire was that it's as difficult to get to run under Windows 7 as games five or even ten years older than it. XD
limegonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #253
Bodzu

If u use Win7, the solution with engine.dll problem is to rename file "engine.dll" in SysWOW64(not in System32!!!) folder to "engine1.dll".
Bodzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #254
DarkByke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodzu View Post
If u use Win7, the solution with engine.dll problem is to rename file "engine.dll" in SysWOW64(not in System32!!!) folder to "engine1.dll".
I'm pretty sure renaming .dll files is never a good idea.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #255
Wesp5

Quote:
Originally Posted by limegonk View Post
It says a lot for how unfinished Vampire was that it's as difficult to get to run under Windows 7 as games five or even ten years older than it. XD
I have no problems running the retail version of Bloodlines on Win7 64bit. It seems the Steam implementation is the real troublemaker here...
Wesp5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines