Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Winterbreak

Proxy Support

Is it possible to add proxy support to Steam? At some points I use other internet connections that enforce the use of a proxy, and so I'm limited to Offline Mode, if and when it is able to start in that mode.

Proxy protocols such as SOCKS, HTTP/1.1, etc would be greatly appreciated, if this is possible.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Epsilon

In principle there's no reason why not. The new content system explicitly supports being proxied, the only other thing that would need proxying is the Steam3 communications channel, which I suppose could in principle be sent over HTTP too as a fallback mechanism (it already has UDP and TCP modes).
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
Winterbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
In principle there's no reason why not. The new content system explicitly supports being proxied, the only other thing that would need proxying is the Steam3 communications channel, which I suppose could in principle be sent over HTTP too as a fallback mechanism (it already has UDP and TCP modes).
Thanks for your support.

If it is indeed sent over the HTTP channel, then in theory is could be run through a proxy, yes.
Winterbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Winterbreak

Does anyone else support this idea and wish to see it implemented? If so, we need more of the user base wanting this idea for it to be implemented!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Jmcmatrixs

Thumbs up

+1 Would be a good idea.
Jmcmatrixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Winterbreak

Also from another perspective, increasing user inclusivity, for those that have to operate behind a proxy?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
the only other thing that would need proxying is the Steam3 communications channel, which I suppose could in principle be sent over HTTP too as a fallback mechanism (it already has UDP and TCP modes).
Steam Mobile does something very similar.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
CatalanNation

I strongly and whole-heartedly support -actually, need- this. Proxy is also my main connection (the other is a 56kb dial-up, so not very functional for gaming...), and up to now I just use Steam with FM2012 since it is required and in offline mode, so I can't patch nor even update Steam itself, and it's kind of frustrating.

I'd love to be able to use Steam as my main gaming online platform to buy and play games, but I unfortunately can't. Up to now the substitute I've found is GamersGate, just because it's possible to download games via proxy. But of course, it can't compare with the possibilities of Steam, so I miss that a lot.

Anyway, I highly doubt it is ever going to be implemented nor even considered, since I've tried millions of times to find information about Steam and proxies on the web, and it seems two or three years ago some people could connect by using tunneling and other complex methods to be able to connect via proxy, but in later versions this was totally disabled. It seems the decision had to do with issues about proxy connections and its reputation of being used for piracy reasons or similar, so they feared the Steam security could be compromised.

So that's bad for the people like me who are forced to use proxy, although I completely understand Steam's reasons to do that, it's their private property and have all the right to act this way. As always, the abuses of a few harm the reputation and the possibilities of the rest.
CatalanNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #9
dblayney

Yeah but it's still damn annoying how those who can only connect to the Internet through a proxy can't, but I can see where they're coming from i terms of security
dblayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
CatalanNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblayney View Post
Yeah but it's still damn annoying how those who can only connect to the Internet through a proxy can't, but I can see where they're coming from i terms of security
Indeed that's the main reason, though I'm sure there are viable ways to ensure a safe traffic even in allowing game data to flow through a proxy.

Anyway, we people who have no other option to use proxies are not going to get anything if we do not show up and get visible, so the more we are and ask for it, the more chances we are going to get our wish com true.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #11
C0nstant1n

Thumbs up

Support proxy in the client steam is very necessary!!!
C0nstant1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
CatalanNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0nstant1n View Post
Support proxy in the client steam is very necessary!!!
Yeah, that's the spirit!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
C0nstant1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalanNation View Post
Yeah, that's the spirit!
Why so you think?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
CatalanNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0nstant1n View Post
Why so you think?
I mean, if we ever want Valve to pronounce over this specifically, there must be a certain critical base that demands this issue.

Being unable to connect normally to Steam through a Proxy really ruins my Steam experience and I guess it's your case also, so what we need is more people demanding this issue so we can reach that critical point.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #15
C0nstant1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalanNation View Post
I mean, if we ever want Valve to pronounce over this specifically, there must be a certain critical base that demands this issue.

Being unable to connect normally to Steam through a Proxy really ruins my Steam experience and I guess it's your case also, so what we need is more people demanding this issue so we can reach that critical point.
Really in such a large community that so few people were faced with a similar problem?

I solved this problem with the help of a special program that redirects all connections to socks proxy, but I don't think this is a good solution, because this raises other issues.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas