Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series

Old 03-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #106
Jjssonicfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarfreak8900 View Post
Yeah I meant the original, maybe it would be scarier on PC with headphones, I dunno lol

It wasn't a bad game, I was just disappointed that there weren't any moments that were truly scary and unpredictable, like there are in Amnesia.

Err.. I'm just remembering those Alma moments right now actually... those were definitely kinda scary, I have to admit
Amnesia will always be scarier, because in F.E.A.R. It's basically like

"Oh a monster? LOL, I can just shoot it's off!"

Amnesia is like

"A monster? LOL, I have no weapons" *runs*

Not being able to defend yourself makes you more scared then being able to defend yourself.
Jjssonicfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #107
MADDOGGE

You can't compare FEAR with Amnesia at all. Two totally different genre. FEAR is first and foremost a FPS that just happens to have some occasional disturbing and eerie jump out of your seat content. You can however defend yourself. Yes Virginia you can kill ghosts with bullets. Amnesia however is pure horror. You are totally defenseless in Amnesia. I have never thought of FEAR as a horror game but it is scary/startling on occasion. Amnesia on the other hand I have not been able to finish. It scares the crap out of me.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #108
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
You can't compare FEAR with Amnesia at all. Two totally different genre. FEAR is first and foremost a FPS that just happens to have some occasional disturbing and eerie jump out of your seat content. You can however defend yourself. Yes Virginia you can kill ghosts with bullets. Amnesia however is pure horror. You are totally defenseless in Amnesia. I have never thought of FEAR as a horror game but it is scary/startling on occasion. Amnesia on the other hand I have not been able to finish. It scares the crap out of me.
I must be missing something in my genes then because I read a lot of people talking about not being able to finish Amnesia. I was freaked out in the first half hour or so of it, but then it stopped being scary and was just a lot of fun.
Then again I don't scare easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanForPrez
I must be missing something in my genes...
inb4 bluz and "that's what she said."
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #109
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanForPrez View Post
I must be missing something in my genes then because I read a lot of people talking about not being able to finish Amnesia. I was freaked out in the first half hour or so of it, but then it stopped being scary and was just a lot of fun.
Then again I don't scare easily.

inb4 bluz and "that's what she said."
Some of us simply aren't as manly as you are Fr33bi3.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #110
Scorpio27

Is FEAR Dead Space scary (where you have giant gun so the scares are reliant on the atmosphere an occasional jumps) or scary like Vampire Ocean View Hotel or Thief Deadly Shadows Cradle level where the scares come from being defenseless (mostly) while creepy goes down during the scares
Scorpio27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #111
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio27 View Post
Is FEAR Dead Space scary (where you have giant gun so the scares are reliant on the atmosphere an occasional jumps) or scary like Vampire Ocean View Hotel or Thief Deadly Shadows Cradle level where the scares come from being defenseless (mostly) while creepy goes down during the scares
It's first and foremost a FPS. Of that list, I'd say it's probably closer to Dead space but DS has no human enemies that I can remember, many more monsters and an artificial difficulty due to limited ammo. FEAR however is first and foremost a FPS with most enemies human and only the occasional warping of reality to keep you wondering whats around the corner, human or other worldly.

PS: The first play through of FEAR is always going to be the best because it will all be a surprise. Once you know what going to happen you can't recapture that feeling. I wish there was a way I could replay it the first time again. I still replay it often though because of the AI and combat.

Last edited by MADDOGGE: 05-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #112
Zekiran

Dead Space is one that I should pick up at some point.

Right now, Cry of Fear, the HL1 mod, is making me jump out of my seat - a brilliant use of the goldsrc engine, probably more so than HL1 actually was.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #113
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
Dead Space is one that I should pick up at some point.
I just finished Dead Space the other night.
It's a blast. No... it's a blast and a half - I loved it.
I also just started playing Dead Space 2 right after finishing DS 1, and so far it's every bit as good, if not better.

The cool thing about DS (and I assume DS 2 as well) is after you finish and wait through the ending credits, you are given the option to retain all your weapons and suit upgrades. So, you can start a new game on a higher difficulty, but beginning with all your upgrades. This frees you to experiment with different weapons, since the first time around you're fairly limited.

I have to say though , Dead Space is the first game I ever played where I kept the same weapon the entire game - I just upgraded it to the max.

Both DS 1 and DS 2 were on sale here last week for $4.99 a piece.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #114
StJackie

You`re comparing it in a different day in age, plus on a ps3 which doesn`t compare to a PC in graphics. It was a scary game for it`s time, especially if you have the right setup & played at night.
StJackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #115
garryg

Quote:
Right now I'm playing Amnesia and it is ten times scarier then fear ever was
I liked the horror story/ALma parts of FEAR2 (the only one I've played to date) but I think the type of fear induced in Amnesia is mostly all psychological and entirely diferent from the 'scare' type fear to be foud in this type of game.
garryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #116
Zekiran

If you play Fear 1 do take close note of the story that is being told. It's a far scarier world and with more sinister implications than just a first person shooter normally portrays.

One of the first lines spoken by a good guy, in response to who they're chasing after (Paxton Fettel) relates that he is "Property of Armacham". That right there is kind of telling of the level that the world operates at.

I think you'll enjoy Fear 1, it plays a little differently than 2 and certainly 3, but they each are a ton of fun.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #117
GrimCW

Quote:
I played it a while ago on my ps3 and I was disappointed because it just wasn't all that scary.
console.. theres the issue..the experience on a console is often far more detached since the player is usually at a greater distance than that of sitting near a PC monitor with the game right in your face.
tis also why consoles get away with crap FoV's like 75 and below (basically tunnel vision), where PC users are often more accustomed to 90-120.

though as others have said, to some it was scary, to others not.
same goes for anything, some people freak watching things like Friday the 13th, others balk and laugh.

Last edited by GrimCW: 05-09-2012 at 01:14 PM.
GrimCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #118
Thecons83

I just bought FEAR, I haven't played it yet because it's still downloading (showily due to the sales) I have no expectation of fear from this game (it was less that $3 so why the hell not buy it), when you have a gun that can turn the enemies into hamburger looses all sense of fear is gone.

I'm not commenting on the game right now, I'm commenting on a stupid argument used in this thread: the "You're not playing it right! You have to play it alone, at night with headphones on!" Anything is scary when you're alone, at night, in the dark, with no other noise and an expectation of horror, My Little Pony is scary if you watch it alone, at night, with no other noises and expect to be scared. When you play, watch or read some something alone, at night, etc it is the environment you set up and your expectations that scar you not what you're playing, watching or reading. True horror is scary 24/7, true horror is scary even in the middle of a bight sunny day, with a TV on and someone else in the room.
Thecons83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #119
Zekiran

The horror for me with the Fear series isn't the gore or surprises. It's the plot. So, pay attention to the story and the details, and you'll understand. Yes, it actually IS a scary game. No, you don't actually have to play it "alone and in the dark", to get the scare factor.

Don't judge it yet. Having that shottie is the best thing to happen, but believe me, you'll still enjoy the ride.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #120
Jamcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
The horror for me with the Fear series isn't the gore or surprises. It's the plot. So, pay attention to the story and the details, and you'll understand. Yes, it actually IS a scary game. No, you don't actually have to play it "alone and in the dark", to get the scare factor.
(I like to type a lot so this could be a lengthy post)

I agree that FEAR's passive and subliminal scares are plot driven too. The alone in the dark thing MAY help to some degree though.

Firstly anything that is at all linked with any horror element needs to be witnessed and experienced with total immersion. Mame the senses from grasping anything that breaks the 4th wall of the game. Don't play it with friends, don't play it in the day. Play it with headphones on in the dark at 3am. You have to convince yourself, if need be, that what is happening, COULD happen whether it be to you or the character you're controlling. Some aspects of FPSs add a certain intimacy more than 3rd person survival horrors I feel; what will get in the character's face, will consequently get in your face as there's nothing but a gun between you.

As there is an abundance of 3rd person survival horrors I think FEAR tackles it's FPS horror very well especially on the topic of paranormal horror and not: aliens, zombies etc etc. Ghosts are very underplayed I feel and this is why FEAR is sorta unique in my eyes and it's sad to know that it's already run its course into the ground by conforming to most generic FPSs nowadays (cheers WB & Day 1 ).

FEAR 1 & 2 I think are both brilliant(despite reading all the 2 gets)and each do their horror in very different ways, mostly because it compliments and adapts to the plot well. In a nutshell I feel that FEAR 1 is more psychological horror whereas 2 proceeds to make real what you thought could or was going to happen in 1, hence more physical horror.

FEAR 1 is like an intimate psychological mind journey for both you and PM as passively throughout the entire game you're learning more and more about who you really are and WHY stuff is happening around you. The atmosphere is superb. The eerie feeling was constant, the sounds, the music(wait was there music?). Sometimes you didn't know who was closer to killing you, Alma or Fettel, I loved that idea. Now I got into the franchise early this year and witnessed F3AR first(on youtube) but did buy and play the first two in order before eventually buying the 3rd; so I thought FEAR 1 looked extremely outdated, however, I do think this helped the eerie look and atmosphere of the game for some reason... I don't know how to explain that but it just reminded me of creepy Half Life atmosphere maybe going as far to say Cry of Fear too; Like it wasn't TOO realistic in look and style(like most games aim for nowadays) so you could almost believe the oddness. The only thing that was kinda lame were the popup subliminal faces of dead people, thought they could of done without that, pretty cheap trick.

Now where as atmosphere is key to the first game, I didn't think it was AS key in the second game and obviously it shows hence getting bashed on a lot. I don't think this made any of the other horror elements redundant though. If you like a franchise enough you learn to adapt because no developer is just going to produce the exact same game over and over so there's bound to be some people who hate changes. (I mean at least it was still with the same developers)

If playing them in sequence when you put in the second game you are already aware of what to expect to some degree so the initial scares of 1 had to be raised. Which is why they made a very good move in switching up the protagonist. Having PM as the PC in the second game would of been dire, extremely dire. You just spent a whole game experiencing with him and you now know he's the scientifically conceived offspring of a jarateed off psychic dead girl, the mystery is gone and now you EXPECT things to happen around him, it's been done. So in this game you play as some random 'special ops joe' who is totally unrelated to Alma or anything in any way. Therefore when things DO start to happen you are often left wondering why; you know you're not PM or Fettel(plus Fettel is dead). I think this added a nice new innocent perspective to what was happening. The continuity was nice too, and now knowing Alma is free from the Vault how could her power increase from just randomly popping up or melting people off screen?

Even before you get surgical treatment there was one part of FEAR 2 that actually made jump quite badly. The pool room at the start of the game where you walk in and any time in that room you do the first 180 turn little girl Alma is standing there but two feet away from you(and looks a whole lot better due to the upgrade in graphics); Holy that got me hahaha.
After you're psychically tuned and enhanced you are pretty much a walking lightning rod to a...well...how do we put it...'horngry' an angry paranormal female spirit... I'm sorry but.. if that's not good ed up horror writing then I don't know what is, nothing else like that. I thought that plot development was insane. The fact that Alma had aged from the little girl form to this gangly skinny worn ringu style spirit was disturbing; gave a whole new jump scare to see something of equal height flicker not too far from you. Then in places she has the strength to don physical form and come out and touch you and I found that awesomely creepy on my first play through, the progression of her power gain here was clearly noticeable(again each to their own but I am a skeptic but love the possibility of ghosts, it all comes down to what tampers with your curiosity of things that should not be). Furthermore the chase is reversed, YOU are now the one being hunted, instead of PM hunting for Fettel. How do you stop a ghost from hunting you, how do you even HURT a ghost, pretty tricky no? This girl is set on absorbing you like a tasty psychic treat; ** spoils **this translates to her wanting to make mind babies with you in the end. This I thought was a decent flip on the whole generic, "I'm coming to kill you" antagonist, especially for a sequel. I admit the mechs and the downtime in the game were slightly boring and unnecessary but they did the horror events very well I thought. Plus the ending is just.....ed up...perfect for a horror based FPS, silly to some maybe, but I thought that was one genius.

F3AR, horror wise, on the other hand was a train wreck. The ratio of Action : Horror were balanced in FEAR 1, favouring Action only slightly in FEAR 2 but in F3AR it seems to me that Action is now it's main focus, completely. Their first mistake was returning to PM as protagonist, it's been done, the scares will be expected on top of the expected scares by recognizing the franchise itself. I think another game could of been produced before they concocted that eyesore of a story. They picked the worst game to include a random scare generator, because it's mostly all action. Noone cares about a moving trolley if you're keeping your eyes peeled and trying not to die from gunfire, horrible juxtaposition. The only thing that was creepy in F3AR were the Phase Commander comm-links and conversations. God damn creepy echo'y voices telling me I'm a piece of and a mistake ;(

Anyway, sorry about the extremely long post, I usually like to go into great detail haha. But it's all about immersion. When you stop thinking games are games when you're playing them then you're on the right track basically. It's like horror movies of today, seeing them at the cinema is only so scary, because in the back of your mind you're sitting in a room with hundreds of people, but then take the time out to immerse yourself in it at home on your own, at night, lights off, your brain does the rest of the work.

But yeah, sad to see most horror franchises seem to be heading in the same direction, 3rd person or FPS, all seem to be getting co-op and multiplayer, I swear not every game needs those things. Horror games are all meant to be, to some extent, linear and claustrophobic. Next thing you know Silent Hill will be multiplayer and co-op, sigh.

Last edited by Jamcake: 07-27-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Jamcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series