Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Genesis Rising

Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Rumtruffle

so,... any good? windows 7 compat?

its only a couple quid now and whilst i dont like rts games, i did like homeworld and this seems 'similar'

cant go too far wrong with something only costing 2 pounds, but i also dont want to get a game that doesnt work on windows 7 32bit.

anyone have any insights, or is this place as dead as it looks?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
LeprechaunDH

Game doesn't work. Won't even start. All it does is ask for admin permission 700 times in a row before you lose your mind and force it to quit.

EDIT: And, no, I am not over-exaggerating.
LeprechaunDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
Rumtruffle

ill follow up for those wanting to know if its windows 7 compat.

i bought it yesterday for a couple quid.

game works on windows 32bit (specs below)
game throws up some weird glvertexattrib2hnv errors before running, but cancelling each box results in the game loading.
after that it doesnt seem to properly go full screen for a while, you have to endure the steam view games window suddenly popping through, or the system cursor appearing onscreen. but once you see that, clicking on the main game background forces it to full screen and its ok after that. (game might not like the steam overlay, so ill play around disabling that for this game and also turning off desktop composition etc for the game executable)

game fully supports all sorts of options for resolutions etc
i was able to pump it up to 1920x1200 16af 8xaa
3d graphics look great as a result, although its a space game so there arent an over abundance of them.
ui graphics are not scaled well however, looking quite chunky on my 28in 1920x1200 monitor.

so at least it works for me. sucks for those that it doesnt though. no idea why it wouldnt, must be something strange on the system somewhere in a driver or something.

specs
windows 7 ultimate 32bit
q8400
radeon 4890 - 10.6
x-fi
4gb ddr2
Rumtruffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Judgement19xx

Still no luck with it? Trying it out myself since I played it before but every time I try it from Steam, all I can hear is the audio but no video.
Judgement19xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Naed_draagur

i can confirm it NOT working on windows 7 - 64bit

just so people know

Would have been nice if that small detail was on the store page :/
Naed_draagur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #6
gamer1978

It works on windows 7 ultimate 64bit I just purchased it and played thought the first level tutorial.

I came to this forum looking for a way to turn off the stardust in the background I rather have in just black with stars.

My graphics card is a nvidia gtx 460.
gamer1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
R13-The2ndType

Working in Win 7 Home 64.

Had it working fine in Win Vista 32 prior to that.
R13-The2ndType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Torr1978

I have had some real issues with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

My Rig currently is a:
MB: Asus P6T
CPU: Intel i7 920
RAM: 6 GB
GPU: Ati Radeon HD5670
DIS: Dual Monitors (2x NEC 224WXM)
Input: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (wired, USB)
Input: Logitech G700 mouse (wired USB and wireless USB), Using Setpoint drivers

Issue 1
When the game starts I get the followin string of error messages
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttrib1hNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttrib1hvNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttrib2hNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttrib2hvNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttrib3hNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttrib3hvNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttrib4hNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttrib4hvNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttribs1hvNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttribs2hvNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttribs3hvNV"
"Cannot obtain procedure : glVertexAttribs4hvNV"

This appears to be a video driver thing where the game is looking for an nVidia video card, which I don't have. But that is just a guess based on the name of the procedure being searched for.

Issue 2
When starting the single player game (tutorial 1) I receive an the following error:
Unhandled exception
"There has been an error executing application. If you press abort, mini dump fill will be created in [STEAM\genesis rising\bin]. (Press retry to debug using debugger)"
Options = Abort / retry / ignore

I assume I have the debugger option because I have some developement tools on my system.

While the minidump might have some valuble information in it, it's just symbols to me.

Things I've tried to overcome the problem and get the game to start without error.

Test 1
Manually create a shortcut to the exe fil in the bin folder and giving it run as admin permissions. This did nothing except prompt me over and over and over again asking if I want to allow the application to make changes to my program.

Test 2
Disable my second monitor.
While I still received many error messages about the glVertexAttrib when starting from the steam menu the game did start and was able to enter a mission. While a solution, not an ideal solutions.

Issue 3
For a lack of a better term, the mouse is skiddish as it moves around the screen. This might be something to do with the way setpoint works or windwos acceleration. This might also be a problem not experienced by nVidia card owners.

Issue 4
Dreamcatcher studio's website is severly lacking in it's ability to be navigated to find the help that might already be there. http://www.jowood.com is the current address as dreamcatchergame.com is no longer found.

Conclusion, it may or may not work. But I don't have enough extra parts around to perfom fair test (like throwing an nVida card in my rig). Keeping my rig as is but putting WinXP on it.

~ Torr

Last edited by Torr1978: 06-14-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: left a 1/2 finished thought, finished it up
Torr1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
Aargh!

I'm getting all those "Cannot obtain procedure" errors on startup as well, but apart from that the game runs just fine on my Windows 7 Professional 64bit...
Aargh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Procyon

I can't start the game. I get the following messages: "Error: Cannot obtain procedure: wglGetExtensionsStringARB", after I press OK, I get a Renderer Warning:" WARNING: Your graphics card is not on the list of supported video hardware! If you choose to continue the game will not work properly." After I select "Yes", I want to continue I get a GL Error: "OpenGL extension is not supported", "Cannot start renderer" and "Cannot initialize game". I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260.

What does that mean? How can I fix this problem?
Procyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
clilesra

Same Problem as Torr

Did anyone figure this problem out?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
clilesra

How do you go about getting a refund from Steam if you can't play the game?

Last edited by clilesra: 10-10-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
clilesra

Support for Genesis Rising does not exist

Today is the 10th day since I opened a support request for this title. After many driver versions and video card emulators an on-going support ticket: https://support.steampowered.com/vie...5402-OSZB-2631.

They just stopped answering me. I have gotten the title to load to the main menu but, when I try to go to any senerio it crashes with an exception error while trying to load the objects table. Has anyone gotten this title to work on windows 7 home? Does anyone know how to get a refund from steam or contact a real person via phone?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Genesis Rising