Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
ngulezian

Gift or Sell Old Steam Games

I don't know about any of you, but I have a couple times wanted to sell some of my games in steam that I really don't play anymore. Like if I had the game on a disc, I would sell it if I didn't want it anymore, so I think we should be able to do the same through steam. Also, I was thinking it would be cool if we could gift our own games to friends in steam. So, let's just say your friend wants a game you have, and you either don't like it or don't play it anymore, instead of buying a whole new copy of the game for them, you could just gift your copy of the game to them. What do you think?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Tyler Szabo

I'm sure this has come up before. I know one thing that publishers (such as Valve) dislike is that there is used game sales, the argument being that it's lost revenue. I don't know how Valve in particular feels, but I'd imagine that someone would advise them that allowing resale will hurt their bottom line, and they might be right, too.

What might be interesting is if someone found out how much it would cost Valve (as an opportunity cost and operating/development cost) to implement such a system, and arrange it so as to break even, or even make a profit, such as brick-and-mortar vendors who buy back at a lower price than they sell for.

The other problem that I foresee is that with brick-and-mortar resellers, when you get a used game it's not in the same condition as a new one. Which is not true of games purchased online.

TLDR; Valve it would be nice for you to look a new paradigms for allowing people to benefit from deciding to get rid of an old game (or a duplicate game when buying packs, for that matter) that don't hurt your business.
Tyler Szabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
d10sfan

It would be nice if you could sell or gift games that you already have on your steam account. Maybe do it like amazon marketplace where valve gets a percentage of the profits. That way Valve makes some money off it and so do you.
d10sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
ngulezian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d10sfan View Post
It would be nice if you could sell or gift games that you already have on your steam account. Maybe do it like amazon marketplace where valve gets a percentage of the profits. That way Valve makes some money off it and so do you.
Ya, thats a thought.
ngulezian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
FrankTheTank338

Maybe a good idea could be that if you choose to sell a game, you only get a sort of store credit to steam only. Worst case if it comes down to game developers themselves, you can use the credit for only their games.

The best way to prevent abuse would be to only allow 1 return/3 months or something so people don't abuse the system and pay for one game only to play many with that one payment.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Dethstar

Never going to happen. This is the benefit to the publishers etc using steam for distribution. Helps kill off the second hand market.
Dethstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
GryMp

Here is a thought.. Being able to pay a little extra for the game, to get the option to be able to gift or sell it at a second hand place in steam to someone else when your tired of it...

Its like buying a game for yourself and pay an extra fee to use it as a present afterwards, or gamble a little and try to earn your money back if you bought the game at christmas sale and paid a little extra for example, by trying to sell the game at second hand in steam at a later date when its back at its original prize.. If you remember it and want to get rid of the game that is... There is a chance that you wouldnt get rid of the game after all.. Because you like the game perhaps.

Well, thats my thoughts about this. I think that would work.
GryMp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Yeowj

This is again the publishers ignoring clear revenue potential. If I give somebody a game it does not cost a sale. In most cases, the user might never have purchased that game. I know for sure that I'll be gifting games to exactly those people that don't play many games. This could have the effect of increasing the amount of time they are on Steam, and hence exposed to publisher promotions.

Legally I can't see a reason why I shouldn't be able to transfer the license to a game I've purchased regardless of what the license said when I purchased. I'm sure my statutory rights would defend me If I sell a physical copy and of a game along with a game. Why would this not apply to digital content and licenses?

I await some lawyer or public interest group to challenge this in the courts. There is no point of a digital economy if it hinders the natural progression of it's own development.
Yeowj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Ethan Hunt

Banned
I personally think if they would give users even a measly $1 for old games and place it in the Steam wallet, that it would draw more people to Steam. I know people who have purchased 80+ games on Steam and now they all just sit there. If we got $1 for a game it would take 50 games to get a major title. "Buy 50 get 1 free" loss of profits my ; greed is more like it.

Steam would be the only digital provider to offer such a system. I really think it would help Steam.
Ethan Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #10
louis cardinal

this is not necessary because already old games have their prices dropped down over time, thats pretty much all you need.

If you could gift one of your games AFTER you played it that is just against the law.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
acemon0

“If you could gift one of your games AFTER you played it that is just against the law.”
I looked all over and I can’t find anywhere that says it’s against the law to give a gift or I do not understand what you’re talking about
Is it as bad as a gaming store that buys your used games at a ridiculously low store credit and sells it back to a new customer at a 5% lower price than the same game new?? Where the only person that makes a profit off that game is the store and not the game developers. Now let’s say that the game came back to be sold again, woo hoo now the developers are out 2 sales but the store made a good profit. But we are talking about pc games and I gave my sims game to my daughter did I break the law? After I uninstalled it and remover any trace of it on my computer.
acemon0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:12 AM   #12
rasitha_raw

The problem with this is that hypothetically if 100 people were to buy the game now only 50 people can buy the game and after they finish they could just gift it to the other 50 people.
If we take it even further, 1 person can buy a game finish it give it to the next one, and so on and so on.
Because this is a digital copy there wont be any difference between a brand new copy and a used one
If this was a physical copy the wear and tear and having to meet them in person would make it hard to swap it more than two three times.

But selling it for store credit could happen. Because its already happening in GMG
rasitha_raw is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas