Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 06-29-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
monkeybo16

Offline Mode

When I logged into steam via Offline mode,
I noticed that i couldnt run TF2 to play it
offline. I couldnt find an answer anywhere
else and was just wondering if TF2's offline
play was disabled due to the F2P update.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
DarthLokust

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybo16 View Post
When I logged into steam via Offline mode,
I noticed that i couldnt run TF2 to play it
offline. I couldnt find an answer anywhere
else and was just wondering if TF2's offline
play was disabled due to the F2P update.
That's because
TF2 is
still an online game
and
you have to be
signed in to Steam
to play.
It has nothing
to do with the
F2P thing.
DarthLokust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #3
monkeybo16

Being able to play offline was possible.
Which you were able to play with bots
on various Koth and PL maps with an
update a while back.

Yes its an online game, but was previously
able to be played offline. If i am not
mistaken since i have yet to be able to
start up in offline mode.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
0'M4ll3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLokust View Post
That's because
TF2 is
still an online game
and
you have to be
signed in to Steam
to play.
It has nothing
to do with the
F2P thing.
Incorrect sorry.

There is some error that comes up saying that this game can't be run "while Steam is in offline mode". However, only occassionaly. Today I tried to play Counter-Strike against bots but it wouldn't let me, though every other time it has. Team Fortress works for me (I played against bots, using OFFLINE mode (directing that towards DarthLokust). Fortress Forever use to not work, but now it does, don't know why.

Sorry I can't give you a fix, but this does effect multiple games so maybe ask in the general Steam help area?

EDIT: Does restarting steam/your computer work?
0'M4ll3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
monkeybo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'M4ll3y View Post
Incorrect sorry.

There is some error that comes up saying that this game can't be run "while Steam is in offline mode". However, only occassionaly. Today I tried to play Counter-Strike against bots but it wouldn't let me, though every other time it has. Team Fortress works for me (I played against bots, using OFFLINE mode (directing that towards DarthLokust). Fortress Forever use to not work, but now it does, don't know why.

Sorry I can't give you a fix, but this does effect multiple games so maybe ask in the general Steam help area?

EDIT: Does restarting steam/your computer work?
I will try that right now and see if it works.
I just tried starting it up earlier on in the
day due to internet difficulties so it isnt so
much an issue as of right now.

I just wasnt sure if the F2P
update disabled the offline play.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
Byungsuk

So we can't play offline anymore? I'm so confused as to what this update has done. Hell, the times i downloaded TF2, it was over 10 Gigabyttes and now when I download it, its soo small. I think the files are just being downloaded through servers more so then they were before. TF2 is more depended on making it so you have to play it Online. When I first downloaded it... I thought I the download cut the TF2 dl off by mistake but it didn't. So thats my guess. I'm still confused though.
Byungsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
0'M4ll3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byungsuk View Post
So we can't play offline anymore? I'm so confused as to what this update has done. Hell, the times i downloaded TF2, it was over 10 Gigabyttes and now when I download it, its soo small. I think the files are just being downloaded through servers more so then they were before. TF2 is more depended on making it so you have to play it Online. When I first downloaded it... I thought I the download cut the TF2 dl off by mistake but it didn't. So thats my guess. I'm still confused though.
You can still play online, however, there is occasionally a bug that prevents this. I am unsure why, nor do I know if there is a fix.

Steam sometimes does funny stuff with the download, where it re-downloads parts of the game you already have. I believe this is primarily linked to your download speed. When I had a 12kb/s connection I was constantly getting 10 gigabyte large downloads. Since upgrading, this problem has gone away.

So the small update sizes are normal, the very large ones are a glitch.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with "When I first downloaded it... I thought I the download cut the TF2 dl off by mistake but it didn't. So thats my guess. I'm still confused though." Sorry.
0'M4ll3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Byungsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'M4ll3y View Post
You can still play online, however, there is occasionally a bug that prevents this. I am unsure why, nor do I know if there is a fix.

Steam sometimes does funny stuff with the download, where it re-downloads parts of the game you already have. I believe this is primarily linked to your download speed. When I had a 12kb/s connection I was constantly getting 10 gigabyte large downloads. Since upgrading, this problem has gone away.

So the small update sizes are normal, the very large ones are a glitch.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with "When I first downloaded it... I thought I the download cut the TF2 dl off by mistake but it didn't. So thats my guess. I'm still confused though." Sorry.
Ah ok
Byungsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
dblayney

I've had that same problem with all my Source games (except Portal 2). I can't launch Portal 1 or TF2 in offline mode. Hopefully that will be fixed in an update
dblayney is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2