Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Insane Ichigo

Error code 80

Helllo all.

Sad day for me, I planned to play amnesia with my friends, but since the last update (Which delete details about Potato ARG) I can no longer launch the game... I have this :

Amnesia: The Dark descent failed to start (Error code 80)

I tried everything, verify integrity of games files, i've uninstalled-reinstalled it about 2 times, and it still don't work.
What's the problem with that?

I played during one hours without any problem before this update, I checked google, and apparently this error appears not only for amnesia, but for any kind of games like Mass Effect, TF2 etc... They said the error vanished without any action... so I don't know what to do now, please help!

I'm waiting about 1 week, and it still don't works... =(

Thx!

Last edited by Insane Ichigo: 06-11-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Simian_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Ichigo View Post
I checked google, and apparently this error appears not only for amnesia, but for any kind of games like Mass Effect, TF2 etc...
Hmmm, that would suggest that the problem is not actually with the game itself.

Also someone at the official forums says he believes the game itself doesn't actually show that error message

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum....html#pid73095

...so this seems to confirm my suspicion.

When searching this with google this I also happened upon the following screenshot:

http://www.mattrefghi.com/blog/wp-co...r_code_80b.png

The error dialogue is from Steam, which suggests it is a problem with Steam. With this in mind, we can refine the search. A few results claim closing Steam and then re-opening it will allow you to circumvent this error once before having to repeat the process the next time you try to launch the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Ichigo View Post
They said the error vanished without any action
It may "fix itself" during an update to Steam, and this is why users report the problem mysteriously vanishing.

I suggest you try re-installing Steam and see if that helps.

If not, contact Steam support and ask them what the error means and how you can fix it.

http://support.steampowered.com/

Good luck and please let us know if and when you get this resolved. I'd like to know how to fix this myself in case I ever run into it.
Simian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
MaYhem_CZ

Banned
I was getting this error after installation, before first running. But the solution was really simple. I was updating my graphic card driver earlier that day and didn't restarted my computer after doing it. So try to update your drivers and see if it will help.
MaYhem_CZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent