Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 02-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Atwooooood

Question Fully resetting TF2 settings.

So i've looked around quite a bit in regards to completely resetting all settings for tf2; everything from deleting the cfg files, launch -autoconfig and all that, and after finally finding out that there is an "enable steam cloud" option inside the game (making it 3 different places you have to disable it), I was finally able to get everything to reset.

My question is, once you disable steam cloud globally, disable it for tf2 in your library list, and disable it from the options within the game and delete your config.cfg file, how do you go about saving those new settings back to the cloud? Because whenever i get everything reset and want to enable steam cloud again, it reverts back to my old settings.

How are you to re-sync the cloud with your new settings?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
satsun

This is a very good question because I reverted everything and when I re-enabled Steam cloud I think it kept most of my new settings but rediscovered my old spray so I'm not sure it totally wiped out Steam cloud.

It would be nice of Valve to implement a button to let us clear our cloud data.
satsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Atwooooood

I agree. I have found tons of threads where people were finally able to reset all their settings (a lot of people didn't know about the hidden "enable steam cloud" in the multiplayer options) and once people found that and got everything reset, no one mentioned anything about re-enabling steam cloud or if it's even possible to save the new default settings to the cloud.
Atwooooood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Atwooooood

I figured it out. What needs to be done is you need to have steam cloud disable in the in-game settings, exit the game, delete the contents of config.cfg, save it, then start tf2 again so it can re-write the default settings.

After that, exit the game and make a copy of the new config.cfg file and put it somewhere else (desktop is fine). Next what you want to do is start up tf2 again, enable steam cloud within the in-game settings (it will put the old settings in effect), and now your going to alt-tab out of the game, replace the current config.cfg file with the copy you put on your desktop, bring the game back up, open the developer console and type "exec config", exit the game, and it saves the default settings to your cloud.

Hope that helps anyone out there having this issue.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
mreeuwij

ok,

1. Right click steam icon in tray, click settings, go to tab "Download+Cloud" and ENABLE the option "Enable Steam Cloud Synchronisation for games which support it"

2. open steam, go to library, right click TF2, properties, tab updates, UNTICK the option "Enable Steam Cloud Synchronisation for Team Fortress 2". Then go to the first tab, and click "set launch options" and clear ANY thats there.

3. Right click steam icon in tray, click settings, go to tab "Download+Cloud" and DISABLE the option "Enable Steam Cloud Synchronisation for games which support it"

4. Start TF2, Options, Multiplayer, UNTICK the option "synchronize with the steam cloud" near end. Close TF2.

5. Close Steam (as in, click in the tray and choose EXIT)

6. press winkey + R (winkey = between CTRL and ALT lower left of keyboard) and type in: "regedt32" without the "" and press OK. Browse to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Source\Tf\ and delete the "settings" subfolder.

7. Go to ..\steam\steamapps\*your account name here*\Team fortress 2\"
delete ALL but the "tf" folder.

8. Go to ..\steam\steamapps\*your account name here*\Team fortress 2\tf\"
delete ALL but the "maps" folder.

9. Go to ..\steam\steamapps\*your account name here*\Team fortress 2\tf\maps"
delete ALL subfolders but not the files within the "maps" folder.

that concludes a reset to all

Steamcloud needs to be turned OFF, cos there is NO way to delete what is up there, you get it downloaded everytime you start TF2, if you want it or not, if you changed it or not etc. the only thing they do is up the config of your when you close the game. And of that, I'm not even sure, cos I've seen things come back that I had set in a autoexec.cfg differently EVERYTIME I launched the game. No idea why it is default on. Sure would not want that.

you may:
- lose favorite servers
- any mod, downloaded stuff like skins, mods etc. They will redownload when you visit the server.

the only settings it is NOT resetting is the "rate" value in the game, cos that one is for some strange reason located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\ key "rate" value... depends on what you had set it. Default is 10.000.

"steamcloud" is saving locally the settings in: ..\steam\userdata\"xxxxxxxx"\...
(with a \440\ subfolder in it)

Last edited by mreeuwij: 02-20-2011 at 04:40 PM.
mreeuwij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Atwooooood

In regards to your post mreeuwij, using the "exec config" line in the dev console will cause your new settings to overwrite the old ones and save the new ones to the steam cloud so you can have the cloud enabled.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
mreeuwij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwooooood View Post
In regards to your post mreeuwij, using the "exec config" line in the dev console will cause your new settings to overwrite the old ones and save the new ones to the steam cloud so you can have the cloud enabled.
For that you need first to start the game, and then the cloud will have applied itself first. There is no circumvention for that.

"Exec config" will execute the config.cfg as it is at that moment. As it is intermittently saved to it again as you change settings etc., there is no sure state of that file (with or without the steamcloud settings). Also, if you need to repeat the cleanse, its easier to have the cloud off. really, if I login to another computer, I wont have my scripts on it. Its very annoying to have the binds to my aliases which only work on my own main game rig, but due to the lack of scripts on other computers, all my keys suddenly wont work. I see no reason to save my binds to the cloud.

Another option is to make the config.cfg read only, but that means that the person has to make any changes in the file itself(not advisable) or in a autoexec.cfg, while most ppl have NO clue what cvars are in need to set for a specific option.

I'm not saying its impossible to overwrite the cloud version, but it wont be a simple: do this and its overwritten with a clean one, or empty. It would be a specific procedure, and I rather just take it out of the loop than keep addressing for it, lengthening the time I need to actually achieve my goal.

Last edited by mreeuwij: 02-21-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
dittbub

why can't valve just have a button in the game that says "Reset All Settings to Factory Default Settings!"
Setting profiles would be nice too.
dittbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
mreeuwij

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittbub View Post
why can't valve just have a button in the game that says "Reset All Settings to Factory Default Settings!"
Setting profiles would be nice too.
Should be easy to script, only the settings for the Cloud not.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
ninjakingcola

Quote:
I figured it out. What needs to be done is you need to have steam cloud disable in the in-game settings, exit the game, delete the contents of config.cfg, save it, then start tf2 again so it can re-write the default settings.

After that, exit the game and make a copy of the new config.cfg file and put it somewhere else (desktop is fine). Next what you want to do is start up tf2 again, enable steam cloud within the in-game settings (it will put the old settings in effect), and now your going to alt-tab out of the game, replace the current config.cfg file with the copy you put on your desktop, bring the game back up, open the developer console and type "exec config", exit the game, and it saves the default settings to your cloud.

Thank you so much, I haven't been able to fix what TF2 Tweaker had done to my old laptop when it carried over to my new one, at least till I read this, now my settings are default again XD
Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Parliamentarian

Banned
Just add -autoconfig to your launch parameters and run the game once. After that, be sure to remove the switch to keep your settings.

All those other steps in that long convoluted post are unnecessary.

You can also disable the cloud completely in Steam's options under the CLOUD tab.
Parliamentarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
mreeuwij

well, to clean out TF2, you would need it. but ignorance is bliss.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
hospiciano0

Just wondering, will this fix MY problem that i am having since 2010?
My Mic just doesnt work in TF2 when i try to configure it, it doents work.. volume is turned off and i cant change it.

I re-installed, deleted all TF2 contect, i even installed win 7 and made a clean instalation, and it still not working.

Also, i cant hear other peoples talks.

I disabled STEAM-COULD and made a clean instalation...AGAIN.
Still not working...

This is really annoying, i guess i am doing something wrong, not deleting something maybe?
hospiciano0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
mreeuwij

Code:
snd_surround_speakers "0" // def. "-1", 0 = headphones, 2 = stereo. (mainly: selecting what kind of audio output, stereo, HP, 5.1, 7.1 etc)
voice_scale 1 // def. "1", Scale the audio of voice vs the normal volume. (0.8 = 80% of sound volume).
voice_enable 1 // def. "1",
voice_modenable 1 // def. "1", Enable/disable voice in this mod.
voice_overdrive 2 // def. "2", Dampening of sounds in game. 1.5 = 66%, 2 = 50 %, 3 = 33%, 4 = 25 %, 5 = 20% of game sound volume when someone is speaking
voice_fadeouttime "0.1" // def. "0.1", fade out, high value's will mute you.
dsp_slow_cpu 1 // def. "", 0 = High 1= Low
bind v +voicerecord
alias test "echo test successful"
put that in your autoexec.cfg (if not exist, make it, and make SURE you didn't save it with the ".txt" extension by having extensions disabled (default disabled)).
That should fix it game-wise. start the game and type "test" (without quotes) and then press "enter" in the console, and if it says "test successful", then you did it right.

Also, test your mic in windows sound recorder, having the switch (if there) on "on". After that, test it with a friend in steam voice via the chat option.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
Cabezon

Quote:

Perfect!

Struggled for hours on that.
Thanks A LOT for this walkthrough!
Cabezon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2