Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 03-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
DustArma

I don't think there's a single Source game that doesn't have LAN play.
DustArma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
Snowey111

I want splitscreen :/
For PC.
Consoles have that over us. We should have it to. Possibly multiple keyboard support.
Snowey111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #18
hahahehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by realizated View Post
I was of course talking about a LAN connection between two computers with the same steam account logged in offline. That would be possible, if I'm not mistaken?
Sorry but nope. Running steam in offline mode disables some critical networking functions of steam entirely, functions that re required by games to play online, either by internet or lan, so if your in offline mode and the game has multiplayer support it will not run at all. Dont believe me? Restart steam in offline mode and try to run TF2, DOD, CSS or either L4d and you will see what i mean.

Also even more proof if its needed, as an experiment i just tried running steam in offline mode and then launching a multiplayer mod which i play (Fistfull Of Frags). The mod actually runs but once your in game the server browser doesn't work at all and console connect fails saying "Unable to connect to server"

The only people who would benefit from LAN Play would be the pirates. Unless you have two steam accounts and two copys of portal you wont be able to use it at home, and seeing as its on a co op game with 2 players its not like there gonna be hosting P2 lan matches now is it. Dont get me wrong, im not saying i dont want it, or even thats its not gonna have it, only that, IMO Valve will have taken the decision to remove LAN from P2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakenZA View Post
? Even l4d has lan. Im pretty sure it will have lan, and if it doesn't, open console and type sv_lan 1. Its a source game after all.
Thats a dedicated server cvar which defines if the server is a local (lan) server or a public (internet) server. Typing that into a client console would have no effect what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustArma View Post
I don't think there's a single Source game that doesn't have LAN play.
CSS, DOD, TF2, none of these have LAN Support (and before anyone says that they are running older versions of Source, TF2 & CSS are now both running on the very latest version)

Last edited by hahahehe: 03-26-2011 at 01:23 AM.
hahahehe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #19
bakugov8

Almost all multiplayer games support LAN play, direcly or using console commands (source is usually sv_lan 1)

so yeah, probably it will have.
bakugov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #20
WilliumBobCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahahehe View Post
Dont believe me? Restart steam in offline mode and try to run TF2, DOD, CSS or either L4d and you will see what i mean.
How about YOU sign in as offline on two computers, run tf2 on both, start a map, any map, on the first, and on the second, type in the console "connect [local IP here, usually 192.168.0.2 (the last number may be different)]". tell me it cant be done... I've JUST done it. I knew i could before, you said this so i checked if anything changed, and it STILL WORKS. therefore portal 2 will almost definately be able to work the same way. period.
WilliumBobCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #21
hahahehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliumBobCole View Post
How about YOU sign in as offline on two computers, run tf2 on both, start a map, any map, on the first, and on the second, type in the console "connect [local IP here, usually 192.168.0.2 (the last number may be different)]". tell me it cant be done... I've JUST done it. I knew i could before, you said this so i checked if anything changed, and it STILL WORKS. therefore portal 2 will almost definately be able to work the same way. period.
So you are completey then.

What part of TF2 will not run in offline mode can your brain not comprehend?

I have just tried it again and it DOESN'T WORK. All it says for me is "This game is currently unavailable!"

==EDIT==

I just tried DOD, CSS, TF2, L4D & L4D2, DOD & CSS ran but i couldn't connect to any servers by either server browser or console.

TF2 & the L4Ds both will not run at all.

Last edited by hahahehe: 03-26-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:14 AM   #22
LiotkSa

Quote:
So you are completey then.

What part of TF2 will not run in offline mode can your brain not comprehend?

I have just tried it again and it DOESN'T WORK. All it says for me is "This game is currently unavailable!"
I'm sorry but you are wrong. I have done so too just a minute ago. Maybe you're not doing it right.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #23
WilliumBobCole

there's no need for the little pink heart implying hate swears, I am simply pointing out that I can do this, as can loitkSa, and probably most people. Perhaps you need to make sure TF2 is synced properly in online mode first, or maybe you are doing it wrong, or maybe you have some problem either with your account or your computer or something. But it IS very possible and easy to do. I have been doing it to test my TF2 maps in multiplayer on my one account, with a friend who comes and uses my second computer.
WilliumBobCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #24
hahahehe

Well my TF2 runs perfectly fine in online mode, when i switch to offline mode it simply will not run.

It could well be a problem at my end, and as i cannot verify if ti is or isnt as i dont have another pc to test it on i will have to accept what your saying.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #25
The IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowey111 View Post
I want splitscreen :/
For PC.
Consoles have that over us. We should have it to. Possibly multiple keyboard support.
I think Portal 2 will have full split-screen support.
The IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #26
Disapproval

Quote:
Well my TF2 runs perfectly fine in online mode, when i switch to offline mode it simply will not run.

It could well be a problem at my end, and as i cannot verify if ti is or isnt as i dont have another pc to test it on i will have to accept what your saying.
You have to go to the console and type in "connect (local ip)"

It's not in the servers list.

Here, have some antirep.
Disapproval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #27
DrakenZA

Quote:
Thats a dedicated server cvar which defines if the server is a local (lan) server or a public (internet) server. Typing that into a client console would have no effect what so ever.)
Go try it, i play l4d2 in lan mode all the time. Just host a internet game and you change sv_lan to 1 and people can connect to you via lan IPS instead of through the internet.

Portal 2 will be the same, so yes you need 2 legit copies to play lan, and you need to be online, but its STILL lan. Unlike lets say starcraft 2 where there is really NO lan.
DrakenZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #28
pumab

PORTAL 2 WORKS IN LAN CONNECTION. I JUST TRIED IT AT THE MOMENT.
I used the same account on the 2 pc's.

I did the following on both computers:
Enable network sharing ( You have to see each other in network folder)
Disable Firewall ( Or just let it throu. )
Downloaded portal 2 to both pc's and started up both steam client in offline mod with YES THE SAME account.

Enable developer console and i started a random coop map, by tieping "map mp_coop_catapult_2" for example.
While its loading You have to be fast and type "connect 192.168.1.101" on the other computer. AND DONE.

I am able to play portal 2 in lan and it works 100%
I know this is not evidence but but here is a print screen where I play with my friend in lan without internet connection:
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7815/nvtelenod.jpg

Last edited by pumab: 04-22-2011 at 09:58 AM.
pumab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #29
pumab

hahahehe im sorry but u are a noob.
pumab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #30
TheTurnipKing

You might need to tinker with the console, but it should be eminently possible.
TheTurnipKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2