Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
CaLixMIKEx408

Question TF2 In Game Store doesn't Work

How do I enable the Store? I hit the Shift+Tab but nothing seems to work. I have Universal Access On. So can anyone help me?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Trifftnicht

It isn't available via the Overlay. It is available on the TF2 main screen.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1073206/Inte...F2-Mann_Co.jpg
Trifftnicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
CaLixMIKEx408

Yeah every time I click that it says something like "Must enable Store in-game and restart TF2"
I press Shift+Tab and restart my TF2 game but it doesn't seem to work
Old 02-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
SyntaxError

when you hit shift+tab nothing happens? did you change they combo to open the overlay?

Im quite sure there is a way to enable the mann co store without the overlay, but i dont know it.

You are better off not wasting you money on pricy virtual items anyway. what in the world do you intend to buy?
SyntaxError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
CaLixMIKEx408

No I haven't changed the overlay
I just to see what is in the store
Old 02-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
yokelele

I can't access the TF2 in-game store either. I have "Enable access for assistive devices" checked in System Preferences -> Universal Access. Toggling the store off-and-on doesn't help - I've right-clicked "Team Fortress 2" in my Steam library, selected "Properties", unchecked the "Enable Steam Community In-Game" check box, started the game, quit the game, checked the in-game check box, restarted the game, and still can't access the store. When I click on the "Shop for Items" button on the games start screen, an error message pops up saying "You must enable the Steam Community In-Game and restart TF2 to use the Mann Co. Store." Using a Mac Pro with OS X 10.6.6. Anyone else run into this problem and found a way around it?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
yokelele

I submitted a help ticket to Steam a month ago but haven't heard back yet. Googling hasn't provided any solutions yet. My Steam and OS X software are current. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
iamjagman

Not intended as a necro-bump (not sure how long of a wait is allowed here), but I am having this problem as well.

I have Mac OS X 10.6.6 (same as above poster) and, just like him, haven't been able to find anything (besides this) by googling. I was hoping to buy a hat to support Japan but can't get it to work. It seems like I was able to access it a while back, but didn't have the money to buy anything.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9
JoeR

Valve
Please Send Me some files...

Anyone having this problem on a Mac where you can't bring up shift-tab on a Mac; and you have enabled assistive devices.

If you restart steam and can run TF2 without Steam warning you about the in game community being disabled; and it is enabled in the properties for the game...

(whew)...
OK. Run the game, try to shift-tab a few times while in game. Quit.

In your /tmp directory (may need to go to terminal to see it...) there will be a few (probably 4) files that start with GameOverlay* and/or gameoverlay*.

If you could mail them to JoeR ( @valvesoftware.com ) - it would help me figure out why the overlay isn't coming up.

Additionally, if you sent me the output of the Terminal command 'system_profiler -detailLevel mini', that'd help as well.

Finally - if you have any other games installed under steam (the simpler the better) - does the overlay work for any of them?.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
SyntaxError

for anybody allergic to the terminal:

you can get to /tmp by going to finder and in the "Go" menu select "go to folder" and type /tmp in the dialogue.

you can also get the system profiler output by going to the apple menu and selecting "about this mac" then click the "more info" button. once in system profiler application go to "file" menu and select "save as". you can save it in XML, RTF, and plain text. JoeR asked for plain text, but perhaps he would prefer RTF or XML?
SyntaxError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
yokelele

Lightbulb Steam Overlay / Store Problem Solved!

Problem solved! The Steam application had to be in the same folder as the Steam games.

Special thanks go to JoeR @ Valve for reaching out via this forum and providing quick, detailed, and personable technical support. I’d also like to thank SyntaxError for volunteering some Terminal app-free ways of getting to some essential information.

In appreciation of everyone’s help and to assist other people into Googling their way to this thread, I’m summarizing the problem/solution and how to get the information that a Valve representative will need to start troubleshooting similar Steam Overlay issues.

So if you had the same problem as me, move your Steam app. You’re done. Go buy yourself a spiffy new hat to celebrate. If you are a GoogleBot, or having trouble falling asleep, read on..

--------

Problem / Issue: I am unable to access the Team Fortress 2 In-Game Store. When I try to access the store, an error message dialog box pops up that states “You must enable the Steam Community In-Game and restart TF2 to use the Mann Co. Store." I also can’t open the Steam Overlay in any Steam game when I press “Shift+Tab”. When I press “Shift+Tab”, the on-screen results are the same as if I had just pressed the “Tab” key.

Settings: I have a Macintosh Mac Pro running OS X 10.6.7. "Enable access for assistive devices" checked in System Preferences > Universal Access control panel. "Enable Steam Community In-Game" checked in the Properties dialog box accessed by right-clicking the game title in the Steam Library.

Solution: The Steam application has to be in the same directory as the Steam games the first time that the Steam Overlay is launched. It appears that after the first launch the Steam games now “know” where the Steam application is located. If you move the Steam application the pointer to the Steam application is updated. If all is well, the next time you launch your game you will briefly see an “Access the Steam Community while playing. Press Shift+Tab to begin.” message.

Background: I had a new computer, new OS, and just started using Steam so I first thought it was a software/hardware incompatibility issue rather than something as simple as keeping files in the same folder. As the sole user of my Macintosh, I have always stored my applications in the root-level Macintosh HD > Applications folder instead of the applications folder associated with my login user account. When I purchased my games through Steam they were automatically downloaded into the Macintosh HD > Users > User Name > Applications folder. The Steam application in the root application folder had no problem launching the games in the user application folder but the reverse was not true. The games expected the Steam application to be in the same folder but did not produce a relevant error message. If you did not know about the Steam Overlay, the first time you may know that something is wrong is when you try to access the TF2 store. Moving the Steam application from the root application folder to the user application folder produced a Finder dialog box stating: “Deleting Steam? Steam still has some game content stored at /Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps. Do you want to delete the game content as well?”. Click the “Leave files” button.

Keywords: Macintosh, Mac, OS X, Valve, Steam, Team Fortress 2, TF2, Left 4 Dead 2, L4D2, LFD2, Portal, Portal 2

--------

Hopefully moving the Steam application solved you problem. If not, your Valve representative will need some Steam, game, and system information to start troubleshooting the issue.

Gathering Steam Overlay Information

The Steam application creates some temporary log files whenever you try to access the Steam Overlay. To generate the Steam Overlay log files, launch your game, start playing, and then hit Shift+Tab a couple of times. The files are in a hidden “tmp” folder. To open up the “tmp” folder, go to the Finder, select “Go To Folder…” in the “Go” menu and type “/tmp” in the dialog box. The four files that Valve will want are named “GameOverlayRenderer.log”, “GameOverlayRenderer.log.last”, “gameoverlayui.log”, “gameoverlayui.log.last”. Drag these files out to your Desktop and email them to your Valve representative. For bonus points, launch another game and repeat the process. Just rename the files so they know which game generated the log files.

Gathering Information from Other Steam Games

The Valve representative will want to know what other Steam games you have installed and if you are experiencing the same problem within those games as well.

Gathering Steam and Steam Games Directory Path Information

It may be useful for the Valve representative to know the directory path of where you’ve stored your Steam application and Steam games. For me, it was the critical piece of information that solved my Steam Overlay problem. The typical path will look like [Your Macintosh hard drive name] > Users > [Your Macintosh user name] > Applications > [Your application file names].

Gathering Macintosh System Information

Your Valve representative will need to know the details of your Macintosh hardware and system environment. Use Apple’s System Profiler application to create a file that you can send to Valve.

Accessing the System Profiler Application

Path Option 1 to the application: Apple menu > Select “About this Mac” > Click “More Info…” button
Path Option 2 to the application: Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > System Profiler

Choosing the Level of Detail

There are three levels of profile detail – “Full Profile”, “Basic”, and “Mini”. The application defaults to showing you “Full Profile”. You can select a different level of detail under the application’s “View” menu. If Valve requested the information from you, they may ask you for one of these specific levels depending on the nature of your problem. If you are initiating contact with Valve, you can just send them your full system profile.

Saving the Profile Information

To save the profile information, select “Save…” from the “File” menu. The save file dialog box will allow you to enter a file name, choose a location to save the file, and a File Format drop down menu with three choices: “System Profiler x.x (XML)”, “Rich Text Format (RTF)”, and “Plain Text (UTF-16”. Choose the RTF file format. It will preserve some of the text formatting and pretty much every text editor on any OS platform can open it up. If you know that your Valve representative is using a Mac, send him the XML file. He can open it with his System Profiler application and use the headings to quickly navigate to the relevant information. If you are going for the “Belt, Suspenders, and Super Glue” achievement or are simply itching to get your OCD on, save the profile information out to all three formats.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games